eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
❪ devils tongue !

Later that evening when Aenemera was able to come back to her senses and continue to act like nothing had happened earlier in the day, the family had gathered for dinner.

She walked towards Aemond after entering the room, Aegon just disappearing by his side the moment he recognized her presence. They still weren't communicating after the latest accident between each other.

Aemond visibly relaxed at the sight of her and held his hand out, reaching for her as she made her way closer. "I missed you."

Aenemera smirked up at the boy as he planted a kiss on her cheek. "We saw each other just a few moments before dinner."

"Exactly," he whispered into her ear.

She glanced towards her brothers, noticing both Jace and Luke were holding eye contact with her. All she could do was smile at the boys with reassurance. Her place tonight would surely be by Aemonds side at the table — just as Aegon sat beside Helaena and so on.

"Feeling better?" He spoke gently to her, trying to catch a glimpse of her eyes while tucking a single strand of blonde hair behind her ear.

Her tongue weighed with sarcasm now. "Absolutely astonishing."

He perked an eyebrow down at his wife, one hand settled on her waist while the other was weighing against his back. "Are we back to our old ways now, my love?"

Aenemera quickly shook her head and frowned up at him. "No, of course not — I'm sorry. There's a lot weighing on my mind currently."

Aemond caressed her waist with his thumb and planted another kiss to her soft cheek. "Send it all away."

The doors to the dining room opened and King Viserys made his appearance while being carried in on a chair. Everyone at the table stood in greeting as Aenemera turned to her grandfather with a gentle smile.

"How good it is to see you all tonight — together." Viserys spoke tiredly once everyone began to take their seats at the table.

Aemond flicked one of the waiters away with a wave of his hand, wanting to pull out Aenemera's chair himself. In which she responded by a grateful smile by his respectful nature.

Alicent turned to her husband with a gentle hand on his arm. "Prayer before we begin?"

He nodded. "Yes."

Aenemera folded her hands together and closed her eyes, just as Aemond did and the others around at the table.

Alicent spoke softly. "May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

Viserys tilted his head towards his wife then gazed around the table. "This is an occasion for celebration, it seems. My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes... and their betrothed."

Everyone raised their cups, including Aenemera as she smiled wide towards her brother. "Hear, hear!" Daemon grinned.

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys," Viserys continued. "The future Lord of the Tides."

"Hear, hear." Rhaenyra spoke out gently to her son.

"You'll be great." Rhaena smiled at Luke.

Aemond held his gaze towards the new couple behind his goblet, Aenemera peering up at him curiously. She understood the discomfort settling in the air and quickly picked up her drink again, standing from the table.