twenty six

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
❪ devils tongue !

"Princess, you're growing quite fast," a young handmaiden whispers while carefully hovering her hand over Aenemera's stomach.

Aenemera stared at herself through the tall reflective glass and nodded her head knowingly.

She wasn't too big, not yet — but the familiar tiny bump that she was used to her mother carrying around, was hidden behind her black and red dress.

The fabric was pulling around her waist and had her figure shown off more. The familiar shoulder's attached to her sleeves were designed to replicate dragon scales. Her blonde hair was curled and braided in several ways while being pinned back from her face.

"How long do you think?" Aenemera muttered with her fingers flexing at her side, curious to feel for anything; although it would yet be impossible.

"Grand maester believes it's pushing to several weeks although it has only been a few days — "

"Will it kill me?" The princess suddenly blurted.

The handmaidens all stopped their work and turned to the princess in panic by her statement.

The silence had the hair on her neck sticking up as she turned around to face the women in the room, worry flashing through her eyes.

"The birth — will it kill me?" She folded her hands together now and anxiously pulled at her fingers and rubbed at the skin around knuckles.

The handmaidens gazed at each other silently until the same one speaking before gently held the princess hands. "Do not worry, my dear. Grand Maester believes it is but a miracle. He has not spoken of this worry."

Aenemera slowly nodded her head and the corner of her lip twitched upwards as she tried her best to remain calm and hopeful.

"Here," the handmaiden smiled and gently turned Aenemera back to her own reflection. She took one of her hands and settled it over her own stomach, both of them watching the action curiously.

The handmaiden placed her freehand upon the princess elbow with a smile. "You will soon be glowing like the sun during its rest on the bay. Your babe will meet you soon and it will be the most joyful experience of your life."

Her words were kind and reassuring. It built warmth in Aenemera's body as she continued to study herself through the mirror. She tilted her chin towards the ceiling, giving her best 'let's get down to business' look before excusing herself from the room.

When Aenemera returned to the large room where everyone was gathered to continue the discussion of war, she took place besides her brother and smiled at her mother.

"The Lord of the Tides! Lord Corlys Velaryon — !" Ser Erryk shouted the introduction as Corlys slowly entered the room with the help of a wooden cane to keep him from falling over. "And his wife, the princess Rhaenys Targaryen."

"My lords," Corlys greeted.

Rhaenyra was standing from her chair now as she turned to the older man. "Lord Corlys. It brings much relief to see you hale and healthy again."