Chapter 40

POV: Y/N

You woke up early and refreshed for the first time in weeks, not tortured by nightmares of your past or fears. The dinner had almost been perfect. Your soulmates hadn't pressured you or crowded around you. You had been able to eat and keep everything down. You had a date set up... It was pretty good.

Your only dark spot was... Jimin... You were more than a little concerned about him... His drinking... his reaction to you... It made you extremely nervous, but as you looked at his phone, you knew you didn't have time to worry about that now. Now you were panicking about meeting Hobi and Jiwoo's parents.

You started with a shower, scrubbing every last inch of your body. When you got out of the shower, you inspected your wounds. There were still a few red lines that would be visible, especially around your upper arms and collarbone. You desperately searched through your wardrobe for something modest and appropriate.

When Jeny came knocking at your door, you were in tears. She rushed to your side. "Y/N! What's going on?" Her hands fluttered around you in her distress. "I knew this was too soon. I'll call Jiwoo and..."

"No... No, Jeny! No." You blushed, but the tears wouldn't stop. "I want to... No, I need to go. It's just..."

"Just what? Y/N, you're completely freaking me out!"

"I don't have anything to wear!" you wailed, gesturing around wildly. "I don't have anything appropriate to wear and they're going to hate me and Hobi will..." You could feel yourself starting to hiccup in your distress.

Jeny looked around at the chaos and chuckled. "Y/N, I have never seen you like this."

"And I've never met my soulmates' parents before!" You collapsed on the floor and just started weeping.

Jeny picked up her phone and moved out of the closet. "Jiwoo, we need your help." She walked out of the room, her voice fading as she moved down the hallway.

You knew you were being ridiculous, but you were completely overwhelmed. You were trying so hard but felt like you couldn't keep it together. You don't know for how long you were like that before two voices came into the room. "Y/N... Y/N..." Two sets of arms embraced you. "It'll be okay." You would have pouted if you weren't still weeping. Jeny was completely making fun of you!

"I promise that my parents will love you." You could barely open your eyes enough to see her smile at you. Jiwoo's tone was very soothing and you started relaxing.

You just had to explain why you were freaking out so badly. "How do you know, Jiwoo? I'm so much older... I'm American... I don't even have a current job here. I can't offer them anything!"

"Y/N! You've been through all this before," Jeny rubbed your shoulder. "Why are you panicking now?"

You sniffed and rubbed your eyes. "It's just... Parents are a big deal. I feel like I'm going to ruin everything because I don't fit as an ideal partner for Hobi."

Jiwoo laughed. "Y/N... You'll be my olke [woman's younger brother's wife]. Soulmates trump everything." She shook her head. "If my parents didn't balk when the boys revealed they were soulmates and lost the potential of having a grandchild from Hobi... They won't even blink at you. You're lovely and love Hobi. They wouldn't ask for anything else."

"Really?" You wanted to believe her more than anything, but your nerves were really doing a number on you. "But I know that Korean parents can be very traditional and strict with potential partners of their children... especially their sons. I don't know what to wear... I don't want to offend them... And aren't I supposed to bring a present? I don't know what to bring..."