Mood disorders

Mood Disorders

These disorders, also called affective disorders, may involve:

· Feeling sad all the time

· Losing interest in important parts of life

· Fluctuating between extreme happiness and extreme sadness

The most common mood disorders are:

· depression

·bipolar disorder

·seasonal affective disorder

·self-harm

1. DepressionDepression is a serious medical illness that involves the brain. It's more than just a feeling of being "down in the dumps" or "blue" for a few days. If you are one of the more than 20 million people in the United States who have depression, the feelings do not go away. They persist and interfere with your everyday life.

Depression is a disorder of the brain. There are a variety of causes, including genetic, environmental, psychological, and biochemical factors. Depression usually starts between the ages of 15 and 30, and is much more common in women. Women can also get postpartum depression after the birth of a baby. Some people get in the winter. Depression is one part of .

Symptoms

Symptoms can include:

SadnessLoss of interest or pleasure in activities you used to enjoyChange in weightDifficulty sleeping or oversleepingEnergy lossFeelings of worthlessnessThoughts of death or suicide2. Bipolar DisorderBipolar disorder is a serious mental illness. People who have it go through unusual mood changes. They go from very happy, "up," and active to very sad and hopeless, "down," and inactive, and then back again. They often have normal moods in between. The up feeling is called mania. The down feeling is depression.

The causes of bipolar disorder aren't always clear. It runs in families. Abnormal brain structure and function may also play a role.

Bipolar disorder often starts in a person's late teen or early adult years. But children and adults can have bipolar disorder too. The illness usually lasts a lifetime.

If you think you may have it, tell your health care provider. A medical checkup can rule out other illnesses that might cause your mood changes.

If not treated, bipolar disorder can lead to damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. However, there are effective treatments to control symptoms: medicine and talk therapy. A combination usually works best.

3. Seasonal Affective DisorderSome people experience a serious mood change during the winter months, when there is less natural sunlight. This condition is called seasonal affective disorder, or SAD. SAD is a type of depression. It usually lifts during spring and summer.
Symptoms

Not everyone with SAD has the same symptoms. They include

Sad, anxious, or "empty" feelingsFeelings of hopelessness and/or pessimismFeelings of guilt, worthlessness or helplessnessIrritability, restlessnessLoss of interest or pleasure in activities you used to enjoyFatigue and decreased energyDifficulty concentrating, remembering details and making decisionsDifficulty sleeping or oversleepingChanges in weightThoughts of death or suicide