Personality disorder

Personality DisordersPeople with personality disorders experience patterns of behavior, feelings, and thinking that can:
Interfere with a person's lifeCreate problems at work and schoolCause issues in personal and social relationships

There are several types of personality disorders, including:

antisocial personality disorderborderline personality disorder1. Antisocial Personality DisorderAntisocial personality disorder is a mental health condition in which a person has a long-term pattern of manipulating, exploiting, or violating the rights of others. This behavior is often criminal.
Causes

The cause of antisocial personality disorder is unknown. Genetic factors and environmental factors, such as child abuse, are believed to contribute to the development of this condition. People with an antisocial or alcoholic parent are at increased risk. Far more men than women are affected. The condition is common among people who are in prison.

Fire-setting and cruelty to animals during childhood are linked to the development of antisocial personality.

Some doctors believe that psychopathic personality (psychopathy) is the same disorder. Others believe that psychopathic personality is a similar but more severe disorder.

Symptoms

A person with antisocial personality disorder may:

Be able to act witty and charmingBe good at flattery and manipulating other people's emotionsBreak the law repeatedlyDisregard the safety of self and othersHave problems with substance abuseLie, steal, and fight oftenNot show guilt or remorseOften be angry or arrogant2. Borderline Personality DisorderBorderline personality disorder (BPD) is a mental health condition in which a person has long-term patterns of unstable or turbulent emotions. These inner experiences often result in impulsive actions and chaotic relationships with other people.
Causes

The cause of borderline personality disorder is unknown. Genetic, family, and social factors are thought to play roles.

Risk factors for BPD include:

Abandonment in childhood or adolescenceDisrupted family lifePoor communication in the familySexual, physical, or emotional abuse

This personality disorder tends to occur more often in women and among hospitalized psychiatric patients.

Symptoms

Persons with BPD are often uncertain about their identity. As a result, their interests and values can change rapidly. They also tend to view things in terms of extremes, such as either all good or all bad. Their views of other people can change quickly. A person who is looked up to one day may be looked down on the next day. These suddenly shifting feelings often lead to intense and unstable relationships.

Other symptoms of BPD include:

Intense fear of being abandonedCannot tolerate being aloneFrequent feelings of emptiness and boredomFrequent displays of inappropriate angerImpulsiveness, such as with substance abuse or sexual relationshipsRepeated crises and acts of self-injury, such as wrist cutting or overdosing