Piece Together The Night Before

Further to the same theme as before, pretentious alert. A couple of other words come to mind - 'nihilism' or 'nihilistic' and 'narcissistic'. Go down that line and it becomes more about the author and not what or who they are writing about. Whoopee doo - you know a couple of big words.....

Lyrics 

Struggle in, my recall has a gap. Blacked out, my brain not keen to map. Managed to make it to the suspended zone.

Planned to spend a short time in the pub. Think it ended at some club. vague image fighting over a T shirt thrown.

This is not glamorous. I am disgusted with myself. Talk about you leave someone else alone, maybe I don't believe that. Kill it all with a 'big deal' response. Took a time to find that out.

Piece together the night before.

Flashbacks that come flashing back. Mental picture pretty blurred. Just came in to face the music. Got to start to piece it all together.

Active compilation of report. Fair game for those you know the sort. Mind and send a good one back now loser.

In the end where does this all stand. Go our separate ways not a sideways look. Thank you for the memory I can use it here.

Flashbacks keep on flashing back. Mental picture pretty blurred. Just came in to face the music. Got to start to piece it all together.

Piece together the night before

Notes 

I looked back at notes from the time of writing this song. Not much there, a couple of references to the completed song. The tune was there first. A memory I have is of waking up one morning and the words 'Piece together the Night Before' being in my head. I'm thinking I must have worked backwards from that for the lyrics. 'Struggle in' - I encountered a few people who would go sick from work and then when double time was on offer at the weekend, they managed to Struggle in. The term is someone else's, which I have now borrowed. I forgot to say that 'Piece Together the Night Before' does not glamourise excess.....and.....it was the first upload that I got to put together a video for. One of the reasons I like this video is for the 'Fear, love, rage....conditioning....emotional maturity' part near the end, compiled by the guy at the top of this page. So, a formula to call on to be able to cope with emotions.'

'Blacked out' gets mentioned, which on reflection is the key term in the song. I have blacked out through excess about ten times in my life. Each time it has had an impact on others. I have been reminded of saying things that I can't remember saying. I am told that I had the ability to construct sentences during my own blackout. I have been judged and I have been lucky and grateful when I have been looked after. I am mindful that you can be reminded of things that malicious sorts invent that you have said. All a big puzzle.

'Make it to the suspended zone' - I remember struggling with trying to find the correct word, which ended up with 'suspended' here. The thing in my favour is that others have been in this position before, so can follow the journey. At this point I am a good bit back from my regular self. I remember the term 'junkie limbo' from before. The journey is from oblivion to normality. My head has stopped spinning, I still feel rubbish and I am trying to fake sobriety the following morning. This is not great if there is also an internal battle with nerves to cope with and a lack of self-worth.

To digress slightly, I like the way this song ends and with better production, that could seriously be enhanced to make it sound massive.

'Fighting over a T shirt thrown' was a personal experience at a gig where a T-Shirt was thrown from the stage into a boozy, sweaty crowd. I had previously seen images of this happening at gigs and some lucky punter getting the T shirt. So I wanted one now. How badly do you need this T-Shirt though? I had one part, this other guy had the other part and they really wanted that T-shirt. A number of punches were thrown from both sides and the conflict ensued for about two minutes, though at the time it felt much longer. I eventually adopted a contingency and manoevured myself into the optimum position for this. This was to see how far the guy fell back when I let go. I executed this plan and the lad was holding on so tight that he must have travelled about ten feet and fell into a row of chairs....he got the T shirt but....and then right back into the gig. Funny what you remember.

I used to hear 'If they're talking about me, they're leaving someone else alone' a lot. Totally selfless. What a guy..........Seriously didactic, lofty comment that one. Complete bs. Do people really mean that? They've obviously heard it from someone, thought it sounded good and decide to regurgitate it. What a crock. I'm happy to be a sensitive soul.

I'll chuck it after this one. 'Flashbacks that come flashing back'. The brain providing an insight into what happened last night.....and then another one....and then another one. There is an effort of will at play as I must want to remember. It's when the flashback flashes in and your heart sinks and there is a feeling of 'I can't believe I did that', 'I can't believe I said that', 'I can't believe that they said that and I let them get away with it' etc etc.

Slogans

'Piece Together the Night Before' I find to be a powerful slogan. 'Just came in to face the music' and 'Thank you for the memory, I can use it here' are also good ones. 

Feedback

'Like the way the music follows the vocals' is a private feedback message received for 'Piece Together the Night Before'. I can handle that.

Thank you for reading this. You are more than welcome to click the YouTube link at the top of this page, give the song a listen, view the video, post a comment, subscribe, share/ tell yer buddies about the song. 

Have a great weekend.