Required Reading - 1

“Chimeras.” Stilinski states after crossing off Tracy from the murder board. I mean it’s not actually a murder board but it might as well be. We’ve been trying to figure out how all of this is connected, which is why we enlisted Stilinksi’s help. “Two dead Chimeras–” Stiles added and I added to that. “--And eight new ones–” 

“So, that's ten in all.” Stiles muttered but Stilinski shook his head in disagreement. “I'm thinking maybe eleven…” Stilinski put up a picture of Donovan, the same guy that had threatened Stilinski before. No one has seen him ever since he escaped his cell. Again. It probably wasn’t a coincidence. He was there when Tracy killed her father, the dread doctors must have picked him when she as they said “failed.” 

“Our station tech guys confirmed something for me. They said both the holding cell lock and cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You said that, uh, these guys–” 

“--Dread Doctors–” I corrected and Stilinski sighed exasperatedly. “Are we really calling them that?” 

I nodded but continued on to what he was saying. “You think they broke Donovan out?” 

“It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?” Stiles pointed out. I shrug in admittance and nodded. “Donovan's a Chimera.” I concluded, stepping closer to the board and putting up his picture. 

“Yeah, but... Is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?” Stilinski questioned and I shrugged. We haven’t seen him yet so probably. I looked over my shoulder to spot Stiles weirdly quiet. Usually he’s the one that’s always giving out his opinions about these kinds of stuff. Stilinski noticed that as well, we exchanged looks before turning to Stiles. “You're uncharacteristically quiet…” 

“Sorry, I'm, uh... I'm just trying to think about it.” Stiles apologized, he straightened up and cleared his throat. I continued to stare. He still didn’t seem like himself. He’s been like this for a few days actually.

 “These are all teenagers, right? So, now shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenagers?” He had a point. “If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that-- burying them, killing them, breaking one of them out of jail…” 

“They couldn't have been chosen at random.” Stilinski said I nodded in agreement to his observation. I turned back to the board, looking between all of their photos. “They had to have something in common.” 

“Something that made them right for this experiment.” 

Stiles nods. “Something that made them special.” 

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

“Our mom's book club usually has more wine.” I said as we all stared at the several book copies on the table. Natalie, Nakashimo, and my mom have the occasional book club with a few other moms from school. But anyway, we all met up at Scott's house because it was time everyone read the stupid book. 

According to Stiles and Lydia, Valack said that the book is supposed to bring suppressed memories to the surface. I still haven't had any suppressed memory come out, but I guess I'll just have to keep waiting for a trigger or something. 

"Well, they also probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations.” Stiles muttered. 

“That's why Malia and Isabelle are here.” Scott said, motioning to us. Malia smiled like she was glad to be of service. We already read the book. So we were just going to watch over the others. 

“So none of us go running into traffic?” Kira jokes even though that could be a possibility. “Or worse.” Scott muttered. “Like what happened to Judy.” Malia said and they all looked up at her confused. “Chapter fourteen.”

Lydia sighed as she picked up the book. “Maybe I should have my mother read it. She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone.” 

“Yeah, if it works…” Stiles muttered. “It has to.” Lydia said, sounding determined. I frowned at her. “What does that mean?” 

“I think I saw them during my surgery.” Lydia admits. “When I look at the cover of the book, it's almost like…" She struggled to find the right words. 

“A memory trying to surface.” Theo finished for her and Lydia nodded. “Yeah.” 

“Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?” Kira asked. “If they did something to me, I want to know what it is.” Lydia said before walking to the couch, she sits and starts to read. 

Everyone else followed her cue and took a copy of the book and found a place to read. I took a copy myself because I didn't understand much of it when I read it the first time so I might as well reread it. 

I sat with Stiles, my feet stretched out in front of him. He absent-mindedly played with the chain I have on my ankle. But as he read I couldn't help but notice how stressed he looked. Anxious. Scared. It was everywhere in the pheromones around him. But I said nothing. 

Stiles wincing and rubbed his shoulder. Okay now I can't not say something. “What did you do to your shoulder?” I asked. “What are you talking about?” 

I cross my arms. “I can smell the blood. What happened?” 

Stiles shakes his head. “Jeep died on me again. I went to check the engine, and the hood fell on it.”

Even though his heart beat was steady I knew he was lying. "Hey are you okay?" I put aside the book and positioned my legs in a criss-cross position. Stiles put the book down for a second before looking up at me. "Yeah I'm okay." 

I stared at him as he picked up the book again and started to read. I don't believe him at all. "Stiles," I took the book out of his hands and put it to the side. I put my hands on either side of his face and made him look at me. 

"You're keeping something from me." I didn't mean for it to sound like an accusation but it might have come out that way. 

Stiles shakes his head. "No I'm not." 

"Yes you are." I state. "You've been in this post traumatic stress state for days now. I'm getting worried." Stiles sighed and pulled my hands away from his face. "Izzie I promise you I am fine. Okay?" 

I still wasn't unsure. Stiles saw that so he took my hand and put it over his chest, directly over his heart. I felt the steady beating of his heart so I didn't have to use my ears. 

"See? I'm okay Izzie." He assured me once again. "You don't have to worry." 

"But how can I not when you don't tell me stuff." I said and Stiles put his hands around my neck to pull me down, resting my forehead against his. "I'm sorry, okay. I promise I'll try to be more open from now on." 

I took a breath and nodded. I'll choose to believe him. Stiles kissed my forehead and moved to the side to give me space to settle in. We snuggled in on the couch, picking the books up again to read. I still wasn't sure about Stiles and what he was dealing with, but if he says nothing is wrong then I guess nothing is wrong. 

“Anyone feel anything yet?” Scott asked after about an hour of us all reading. “Tired.” Kira muttered, rubbing her forehead. “Hungry.” Lydia answered and I groaned, burying my head in the book. “Suicidal.” 

“I think he meant the book…” Theo said with a small laugh. I shrug. Same thing.