Required Reading - 3

We hurried out of the basement and back up to the school, bumping into Malia on the way. “Where's Kira?” I asked my cousin immediately. “Still at the library. Stiles and Lydia are at the hospital.” 

“Doing what?” 

“Lydia's trying to figure out what happened to her during the surgery.” 

“How long are they gonna be there?”

“They said they've just waiting for the power to go back on?” The boys and I exchanged glances. Oh no. “Does anyone want to explain?” Malia asked, I don’t bother to explain at first. Instead I just grab her hand and dart out of the school with the boys.

“We’ll explain on the way!” As we ran to the car, we had the woods landscape in front of us. The weird thing is that it was familiar. I don’t know why, I’ve run in the woods plenty of times before. 

“Bellie slow down!” Laura called as she and a newley 16 year old Isabelle raced through the woods. New York doesn’t exactly have the best places for werewolves like them to run around free. Which is why once a month every month, the cousins make a trip to New Jersey. Neither member of what’s left of their needs to continue learning to control the shift, but Laura and Isabelle still like to come out. 

Embrace the wild side. Truth be told, it's Laura's excuse to escape Derek and Isabelles excuse to escape her parents. 

“Stop calling me Bellie and maybe I will slow down!” Isabelle shouts at Laura, unfortunately for Isabelle, her alpha status gives her that push she needs to catch up to her. “I really don’t like you Laurels.” Isabelle muttered as she slowed down. Laura chuckled and looped her arm around Isabelle's shoulder. “Oh you love me.” That was true. Isabelle's one weakness was always going to be her family. And it was also Laura's weakness. After what both girls had been through, family was everything to them. 

Isabelle roaned a little one when she felt the sudden shift. She kept it all under control however. “Are you starting to feel the effects?” Laura questioned. Isabelle nodded, rubbing her eyes. “Yeah. It’s weird though. I’ve never felt like this before.” Isabelle's been dealing with this for 16 years. She learned full control a few years ago but today this feels different. Laura always felt stronger on a full moon, being an Alpha helped. 

“Ow.” Isabelle groaned, feeling this suffocating feeling in her chest. “Isabelle?” Laura questioned as the pain suddenly just started getting worse. 

“Laura!” Isabelle cried as her ankle without warning suddenly just shifted, she winced at the pain before the same thing happened to her other ankle. Isabelle fell to my knees, feeling herself shift involuntarily. “Isabelle, this isn’t funny.” Laura scolded sternly, but there was a hint of worry in her voice. 

Laura promised her aunt and uncle that she would protect Isabelle, she promised to get her back in one piece seeing as it was her 16 birthday. And right on the dot. 

“It’s not me.” For some strange reason the rest of her body kept changing. Except this isn't how they turn. They aren't supposed to feel this much pain. Trust them, they know. "Laura what's happening?!" Isabelle screamed as she felt her fangs project. She felt my eyes sting from the shift. 

"Your eyes." Laura gasped, watching as her cousin was hunched over, fangs out and eyes glowing a vibrant purple. Before Isabelle even gets a chance to ask she waa suddenly suspended in the air. Laura gasped in surprise as a purple aura formed around her cousin. Laura knew of almost every single supernatural creature from her studies with her mother before her death, she had never seen or heard anything like what was happening before her eyes.