Chapter 8

They entered the high street lounge and were assisted on to their seats.
    "Order anything you like." sambit ni Min Jeong.
    "I think I'll have Pesto and Broccoli..." Chai said.
    "I'll have the high street club..." Min Jeong said.
    "Ok and how about drinks? Cocktails and dessert?" the waiter asked.
    Nagkatitigan ang dalawa. Min Jeong smiled.
    "What do you like?" tanong nito.
    "I'll have Ohaina, let's just share?" tanong ni Chai.
    Tumango naman si Min Jeong.
    "Chai, please decide for our drinks..." Sabi ni Min Jeong.
    "Hmmm... I'll have a margarita and he'll have giardino italiano..." she answered.
    "Ok ma'am i'll repeat your order...." the waiter said until he said the final orders and Chai nodded.
    "So... what's your plan here in the Philippines for your vacation aside from Boracay?" Chai asked.
    "Well, I don't have a lot. I just wanted to rest and spend more time with you." sagot nito.
    "Whoa that's nice. But what if it's just the two of us? You know my best friend, I'm not so sure with his plans and if her girlfriend is ok to join us, are you ok with that?" Chai asked.
"If it's ok with you..." Min Jeong answered.
"Hmmm I'm thinking of asking my family to join us so you will be able to meet them... what do you think?" Chai asked.
"That would be better. I'd love to meet your family." Min Jeong said.
"Ok, I'll make the necessary reservations. This will be interesting." Chai said.
"The next time you visit Korea, I will also introduce you to my family. I'm sure my parents will really like you." Min Jeong said.
Na-flatter si Chai sa narinig.
"Yeah, let's do that. I'd love to go back for a vacation." she said.
They chatted for such a long time and they never noticed that time passed by quickly.
"Thanks for the dinner and for this." sabi ni Chai also pointing to the flowers.
"I'd love to bring you home..." sabi ni Min Jeong.
"No, it's ok. I'm driving and this is not your country. Do that for me in Korea, ok?" natatawang sambit ni Chai.
"Of course!" sambit ni Min Jeong.
He suddenly approached her and hugged her. Nadama ni Chai ang mabilis na tibok ng puso niya. She can smell his expensive perfume.
"Let me just walk you to your car." Min Jeong insisted.
"Ok, ka ja. (let's go)" sabi ni Chai.
So they walked slowly outside the hotel, waited for the valet driver and Min Jeong opened the door for her and closed it also after she rode the car. Nakasilip pa rin sya at kumakaway bago tuluyang umalis si Chai.
"One-week leave?" tanong ni Erin kinabukasan nang dumeretso rito si Chai pagkapasok na pagkapasok sa opisina.
"Sige na, lovelife to... please?" pagmamakaawa ni Chai.
"Ako nga oh, paputok na tiyan, napasok pa... pero oo naman! Suportado kita dyan! Saka successful naman yung anniversary special natin at event. Best, your magazine is selling like hotcakes!" sabi ni Erin.
Niyakap ito ni Chai.
"So who is the very lucky guy?" Erin asked.
"I will definitely introduce you to him, kapag kami na." sabi ni Chai.
"Dapat lang! Puwede pag-uwi nyo, dapat kayo na?" sabi ni Erin.
"We'll see." sagot ni Chai.
"We'll pray for it. But just the thought that the trip is with your family and you are introducing him to them, mukhang ito na yun." sabi ni Erin.
"I hope everyone gets to like each other. You know how much I want my family to love my future husband diba?" Chai told Erin.
"Sa palagay ko, ok na ok na this time, the spark in your eyes. These are the things I long to see for years!" sabi ni Erin.
Nangiti si Chai.
"Pero best, pano na yung isa mo pang best?" biglang pag aalala ni Erin.
"Huh? Liam?" taka ni Chai.
"Oo. May gusto sa'yo yun eh. Sobrang obvious." sabi ni Erin.
"Ngee, bestfriend nga diba? Saka may girlfriend yun. Ganun lang talaga personality nun super lambing sa akin. Pero di kami talo, promise." depensa ni Chai.
"Are you sure? 'coz I see it differently... how sure are you that the girlfriend exists, were you able to meet her?" tanong ni Erin.
"No. Pero hindi naman gagawa nang istorya si Liam kung wala, saka kung wala nga at gusto niya ko, diba dapat mas tinake advantage na nya ang sitwasyon para umamin sa akin?" sagot ni Chai.
"I don't know. Some people are simply playing safe these days. You know our generation. Sobrang dami na ngang na-concoct na terminologies sa relationships ngayon diba? Andyan yung ghosting, no label relationships, bare minimum - name it diba? Malay natin kung isa siya dun..." duda ni Erin.
"Huy buntis, kung ano ano iniisip mo, manganganak ka na, wag ka nang magpaka - CSI dyan. Magkaibigan lang kami nun, tapos. Besides, sa palagay ko nga eh ito na talaga yung the one ko. Isang korean jagiya." kinikilig na tugon ni Chai.
"O siya sige, galingan nyo sa bora ah!" sabi ni Erin.
Pagbalik sa sarili niyang opisina, mga booking for Boracay ang inasikaso niya. Almost lunchtime when she received a message,
"Lunch?" from Liam.
"Where do you want?" sagot ni Chai.
"Your call." sagot nito.
"Korean?" tanong ni Chai.
"Ok." sagot ni Liam.
While eating in the korean restaurant...
"Best, nag aayos na ako ng bookings sa Bora, ano sama kayo?" tanong ni Chai.
"I don't think so... pero teka kayong dalawa lang ba?" usisa ni Liam.
"No. I enjoined my fambam to come with me..." sabi ni Chai.
"Wow, meet the family na agad?" sagot ni Liam.
Nangiti si Chai.
"Ano ka ba, mainam 'yun, kung may intensyon siya sa akin edi maoobserve na agad nila mama. Kung wala naman e, lahat naman ng kaibigan ko pinapakilala ko sa kanila ah. Ikaw nga hindi ka na nagpakita sa kanila. Wanted ka na dun." sabi ni Chai.
"Nabusy lang pero one of these days daan ako doon..." sabi nito.
"Ikaw bahala. Sanay naman na ako na may ganyan kang moment e. Malambing tas masungit. Ewan ko ba, minsan pakiramdam ko ikaw talaga yung nagkakamens sa ating dalawa." sumbat ni Chai.
"Nanumbat talaga?" natatawang tanong ni Liam.
"E totoo naman eh." sabi ni Chai sabay ismid.
That weekend came swiftly and Chai together with her family met with Min Jeong in the airport.
"Min Jeongah, this is my mom, my oppa, unni and my nephew." Chai introduced her family.
"Family, this is Min Jeong. I met him during my last korea business trip. This doctor feels like a very old acquaintance. The moment we knew each other, we instantly clicked." Chai continued.
"Hello po. It was nice meeting you." sabi ni Min Jeong and took a bow.
"Samchon, annyeonghaseyo." sabi ng pamangkin ni Chai kay Min Jeong.
"Woow, you can speak korean?" Min Jeong asked.
"Konti lang po." the boy answered.
And they all laughed. They rode the airplane once they heard their flight being called.
Chai and Min Jeong chit chatted for the next one hour and thirty minutes. They never had any dull moments together. Finally, they arrived at their destination - Boracay.
They rode the fast cat going to the island and a motorela that transported them to their hotel.
"Are you tired?" Chai asked Min Jeong upon reaching their hotel.
"No. I'm good." he said.
"I'll call you for dinner. Wash up and rest muna ah?" Chai told him with a bit of tagalog.
"Sige po." Min jeong answered and smiled.
"We'll continue our tagalog lessons later." sabi ni Chai.
"Sure. You also take a rest. You need that break from your work." sabi ni Min Jeong.
"Ne, abeoji." sabi ni Chai.
Natawa si Min Jeong sa sinabi niya meaning "yes dad!"
"Ok, bye for now." sabi ni Chai.
And she went back to her hotel room. Then she received a call at whats app from Patrick.
"Hello?" sabi ni chai.
"Hey Chai, have you been busy lately, no time to reply to my messages eh?" sabi ni Patrick.
"Hey Pat, thanks for all the photos that you sent me... But is it ok to ask you a question?" sabi ni Chai.
"Yeah sure." Sagot ni Patrick.
"We're good friends, right?" Chai said.
"Yes, we are, and we could be more." Patrick said.
"Well, I want us to keep being friends and just friends. Is that ok?" Chai answered.
Patrick was silenced.
"I'm sorry Pat. You are a nice person, but I couldn't keep up with your adventures. I'm the kind of person to just settle. But we could be friends. Good friends at that and who knows, you may just simply meet the right adventurer in one of your travels." Chai said.
"Well, I really had a great time with you back home, but I understand you. Thanks anyway and live a great life Chai. Goodbye." Sabi ni Patrick.
"You too. Live well and say hello to your mom for me. Bye." Paalam ni Chai.
Dingdong!
Unti-unting binuksan ni Min Jeong ang pintuan ng hotel room niya.
"Ready for dinner?" Chai asked.
"Yeah, let's go." sabi ni Min Jeong.
Sa isang restaurant sa beachfront sila kumain.
Nang dumating ang mga orders nila, ipinagsasandok ni Chai at Min Jeong ang isa't isa.
Nag oobserve naman ang pamilya ni Chai sa kanila.
"Sincha mashiseo (really delicious)" Sabi ni Min Jeong.
"You like it?" Tanong ni Chai.
"Yes". Nangingiting sagot ni Min Jeong.
Nakita ni Chai na may kanin ito sa bibig kaya pinunasan niya ito.
"How do you find the Philippines so far, Min Jeong?" tanong ng nanay ni Chai.
"It's beautiful and the people are nice ommonim(mother)" sagot nito.
They chatted some more until they finished dinner.
Later, Min Jeong and Chai decided to stay just to walk by the shorelines.
"We really love the sea, don't we?" Chai broke the silence.
"It's memorable for me because we met by the seashore. And I find the gushing sound of the waves relaxing." Min Jeong said.
"I feel the same." Chai replied.
She felt Min Jeong's hand holding hers. Surprised, she looked his way.
"I know it's too soon, but I want to let you know that I like you." Min Jeong said.
Napalunok si Chai sa narinig.
"Then let's get to know each other well and make this thing work." Chai said.
They smiled at each other and kept walking the shoreline holding hands.
The next day, they went island hopping and ocean activities. While they were on helmet diving, they noticed someone fainting in the seashore.
Tourist guide immediately brought the person back to the shoreline. Min Jeong approached them to help.
"I am a doctor, let us give him space for air so we can conduct CPR." Sabi niya sa mga tour guide.
Kaagad niyang nilapatan nang paunang lunas ang walang malay na katawan nang pasyente.
Kabado man, may kumurot na kung ano sa puso ni Chai. This is what she's looking for. 'Yung taong di selfish at handang mag-assist sa iba.
When the ambulance came and the patient was already taken, saka nag-yaya si Min Jeong na umalis.
"Min Jeongah, I am so proud of you." sambit ni Chai.
Napatitig dito si Min Jeong at napangiti.
"I just did what I should. Because that's part of my promise when I became a doctor." Min Jeong said.
"Keep it up, Min Jeong. Keep helping those who need medical assistance." Sabi ni Chai.
"Will you be ok to be with his kind of man? Not rich but doing a lot of charity?" Min Jeong asked her.
Chai laughed.
"What is my name again?" Chai asked Min Jeong.
"Charity." He said and smiled.
"Bingo. Perfect fit, right?" Chai said.
They smiled at each other and walked back to Chai's family to continue with other beach activities.
Last night na nila sa Bora.
"Tita, may dala ka bang magandang dress diyan?" tanong nang pamangkin ni Chai sa kaniya.
"Meron naman, bakit?" tanong nito.
"Suot mo na ngayong gabi." Sabi nito.
"Bakit?" sabi ni Chai.
"Last night na e, aura na diba?" sagot nito sa kaniya.
Natawa siya sa tinuran nang pamangkin ngunit pinakinggan naman niya.
Paglabas niya ng kwarto, nag-iintay pala doon ang pamangkin niya.
"O bat andito ka pa, ganda din ng suot mo ah ang pogi mo." Bati ni Chai dito.
"E basta, tara na tita." Sabi nito at hila sa kaniya.
Naglakad sila patungo sa beach front. Natanawan niya ang table set up na may pailaw pa sa paligid at kubol. Nakita niya doon ang pamilya niya pero wala si Min Jeong.
"Oh asan si Min Jeong?" tanong niya nang makalapit sa table.
"Andyan na." tugon nang hipag niya.
Papaupo na siya nang mapalingon at makitang parating si Min Jeong, wearing a white pants, Lito Atienza inspired polo on top is a white coat papalapit sa kaniya at may dalang bouquet of pink roses.
Napangiti si Chai habang nakatitig dito, walang kupas ang kagwapuhan ni Min Jeong sa kaniyang paningin.
"For you." sambit nito sabay abot nang bouquet of flowers.
"Thank you." sambit niya.
Umupo si Min Jeong sa tabi niya.
"You have something to say Min Jeong?" sambit nang kuya ni Chai.
Halatang kinakabahan si Min Jeong nang marinig iyon. Napatitig sa kaniya si Chai.
"What is it? Something bothering you?" Chai asked.
Napangiti si Min Jeong.
"Chai, I know we just met, we barely know a lot of things about each other. But from the first day that I met you, I felt that you are the person I am long waiting for... I sincerely apologize for asking you this, but can you be mine?" sambit ni Min Jeong.
Napatakip nang bibig si Chai.
Yes! She felt that things are very fast but why does it feel so right? She wondered.
"Sige na tita, matanda ka na ok na si Samchon." Sabi ng pamangkin ni Chai.
"Psst" sita nang nanay ni Chai sa apo.
Nagtawanan ang lahat, maliban kay Min Jeong na hindi naunawaan ang pinag-uusapan nila.
"From today, I am yours and you are mine." Sabi ni Chai kay Min Jeong.
Nagpalakpakan ang mag-anak at napangiti si Min Jeong sa narinig. May kinuha itong box sa bulsa ng coat at tumambad ang isang kahon sa kanila. Binuksan niya ito at isinuot ang kwintas na may pendant na moon and star sa leeg ni Chai.
"Wow this is so beautiful, thank you. You guys planned this together, don't you?" sabi ni Chai kay Min Jeong at sa mga kamag-anak.
Nangiti ang lahat nang marinig siya.
"Nakita namin kung gaano kabait si Min Jeong at kung gaano ka din niya kamahal, kaya talagang pinagtulung-tulungan na namin na finally, magkalove life ka na sa tamang tao." Pagpapaliwanag nang nanay ni Chai sa kaniya.
"What did eomma said?" Min Jeong whispered to Chai.
"Well, she likes you, everyone here likes you." Bulong ni Chai sa kaniya.
"Salamat po." Sabi ni Min Jeong sa lahat.
"Mahal kita." Bulong niya kay Chai.
Nangiti si Chai sa narinig.
"Saranghaeyo." Tugon nito sa kasintahan.
The family enjoyed the dinner and that romantic scene. Masayang masaya sila para kay Chai. Wala ring pagsidlan ang tuwa sa puso ni Chai.
Pagbalik sa Manila, Min Jeong accompanied Chai in the office because he wants to spend his last day in Manila with her.
"Erin, I want you to meet my boyfriend, Min Jeong. Yobu, this is Erin my bestfriend and boss." Pakilala ni Chai.
Sakto namang papasok din ng opisina ni Erin si Liam. Napalingon si Chai.
"Oh and this is also my guy best friend Liam. Liam, finally my boyfriend, Min Jeong." Pakilala ni Chai.
"I think we've met before. Nice to meet you bro." Sambit ni Liam at nakipag-kamay kay Min Jeong.
"Sa Seokcho, remember?" nakangiting dugtong ni Chai.
"Yes, I remember you." tugon ni Min Jeong at abot sa kamay ni Liam.
"So until when are you staying here?" tanong ni Liam kay Min Jeong.
"Tonight is my flight back to Korea." Sagot ni Min Jeong.
Napatango si Liam.
"That's why he's here with me, kasi he wants to spend his last day in Manila with me." Dugtong ni Chai.
"Ok enjoy your day love birds. Go! Liam and I have something to discuss pa." sambit ni Erin.
The new couple left the room.
"Chai," pahabol na tawag ni Liam.
Nilingon ito ni Chai.
"Yes?" tanong nito.
"I have something to give to you later." Sambit ni Liam at kaway kay Chai.
Tumango si Chai at lumakad papalayo kasama si Min Jeong.