Chapter 1: The Traveler

The smell of burnt fauna fumes in the air as a man sheaths his sword. He sighs in relief and double checks his body for any potential injuries. His exotic clothes were alright, the only victim was a silk white scarf with gold trimmings and ornaments. A regular clothing item the man cherished deeply.

It's fine, he'll ask Nahida for sewing advice later. His light golden braid angrily swishes in the wind as he desperately tries to tidy it up. It's another new commission day for Aether. The wilds and fields of Mondstadt are a sight to behold.
He had already done 3 of the 4 tasks and he looks forward to collecting the Primogem rewards later. He stretches and sighs, he wistfully gazes at a massive and bitter cold mountain. Its ice spikes and spires can be seen even from where he was.

Dragonspine... He thought. His final commission was on the other side down by one of its chilled and icy beachfronts. Safe to say he was not looking forward to it. But he wouldn't get those Primos if he just stood there and complained. Before he was to journey to the mountain, he swiftly scouts the area for any loot and remains hidden in the sharp blades of grass.

Divining scrolls, firm arrowheads and a lot of slime condensate. Good. He'll need those to ascend his party for later. As he watches the orange sunset fade into a gradient of blue and violet, he picks up desperate cries for help. He turns around in order to find the source of the screaming.

"Aether!" A silvery voice calls. The traveler widens his eyes in shock. Impossible...

It's her. Why? How? She had refused to reunite with him some time ago! Light golden hair and amber eyes like his and a white dress with blue ornaments.

"Lu-Lumine?" He stutters, he can't believe it.

"C'mon! We have to scramble!" Lumine shouts as she hastily dashes towards him. Behind her, an angry mob is not too far from capturing her. She tosses a brown bag towards Aether, prompting him to freeze in place and stare at the incoming horde.

"What the!? Hello? THERE'S AN ANGRY MOB CHASING US! We gotta run!" Her sarcastic scolding can't help but make him smile as she grabs him by the scarf. Aether observes his surroundings as they dash and clash with townsfolk and guards alike, only enraging the mob even more. It was a town with walls built around it. Medieval buildings were jam packed inside, there was an alleyway every few corners or so. Mondstadt? Impossible, he was in the wildlands just moments ago. The signs were in a language that he didn't recognize. Mondstadt in the past maybe? As they make a break for the city gates, he realizes something.

This isn't Teyvat.

He couldn't name the place just yet, but he knew, he had a feeling in his gut. This place felt familiar and yet he can't pin down why. As he started to ponder, everything became a blur, nothing but dashes of yellow and green and a huge blob of blue.
"What was that!?" Lumine demanded. Aether shakes himself into consciousness. He realizes they weren't in the castle town anymore. They were in a field with little to no trees, there were herds of horses galloping amongst the plains and a few birds cawing just overhead.

"You froze in place! I told you to meet me in the town square as I gathered supplies!" She continued to reprimand him for being sloppy, unfocused, etc. And Aether took all of it with an open heart.

Bingo!

"Hey, ummm... Where are we again?" He asked sheepishly, blushing while he's at it. Lumine's eyes ignited with fury. He knew he was going to get an answer now.

"How did you forget!? We're in Hy-"

Before she could respond, he had woken up, violently shaking and hyperventilating. It was a dream. Of course it was a dream! How wouldn't it be a dream!? He quietly scolded himself for his stupidity. Silence, nothing but the whispers of the wind and crickets can be heard. The sky turned a midnight blue and the moon was smiling brightly upon the nocturnal critters and creatures. It's the dead of night, he must've unwittingly fallen asleep. Aether chuckles to himself even after that lucid dream. She would definitely be furious now.

He picks himself up and dusts off the grass on his poofy black pants. He quietly gathers his sword and bag before heading off to Dragonspine. Aether explicitly made the decision to travel on foot instead of teleporting. A. He doesn't have the guts to make a mad dash for all the way points in the wintry atmosphere of the mountain and B. He was alone, none of his Pyro friends came along to help.

The mini expedition proved to be long and monotonous, everything looked the same. There were only meadows, trees, cliffs and even more trees. All of it became indistinguishable. The abyssal black sky doesn't help. The only thing that broke the silence was the view of Mondstadt at night. 

The lights were like fairies in the dark and Aether could imagine the brawls and chatter in the Angel's Share. He giggles at the thought of a tipsy Captain Kaeya brawling with some rowdy tavern-goer. He pauses to admire the scenery for a while. The windmills gently turn in the wake of a light breeze and the iconic Church of Favonius sits proudly at the tippy top. As he settles down for a snack, he notices something strange out of the corner of his eye. Something bright. A Seelie perhaps? Aether follows the light through the forest. Each passing minute grows colder and colder. The trees became twisted and bent into every conceivable angle. Soon enough, he had found himself at the haunting forest of Wolvendom. The fog was thick and he couldn't see anything past his hands. The light however, somehow kept its shine even in the gray.

A couple of minutes later, he had arrived at the stone arena where he would fight Lupus Boreas. The howls of wolves startle him but he presses on. He shifts his focus to where the light had finally stopped. In a matter of moments, it had transformed into some sort of portal. He soon regrets staring at it as teal glow promptly blinds him. As Aether regains his senses and adjusts to the light, he discovers that the portal is lined with two dragons that seem to be eating each other's tails. A faint tingle of familiarity emanates from the strange glimmer. Its invisible arms tug him towards it, its bizarre murmurs tempt him to enter and Aether's curiosity makes him helpless.

He absent mindedly enters the portal, all of his abilities of reason and logic gone and reduced to atoms. His body powerlessly dipped and dived through the sea of jade lights. Eastern dragons whose appearances akin to auroras bash into each other as if to provoke the other to a duel. He stares in amazement at the ethereal and bewitching beauty of the realm. But before he could note anything down, he was flung into the earth.