We Can Make It If We Try

As we were walking back home I sighed. "What's wrong?" "Now I only have Steve and my mom to talk to when you're gone." Bucky chuckled and pulled me close as we continued walking. "I'll be back before you even know it and then you'll be begging for me to go back to war." I smiled and laughed. "No, I doubt I'd get that annoyed with you." "Because you love me?" I stopped in my tracks and shook my head. "I was hoping that you didn't hear me say any of that." "What? You don't want me to know that you love me?" I playfully hit him on his chest as I continued walking. "I've been meaning to say it for a while, but I wasn't sure if it was-" Bucky stopped me from walking and pulled me into a kiss. I was taken aback but fell into it anyway. His kisses always took me on a high that no drug ever could. He smiled at me as he broke it off. I would've let it go on forever if I could. He was that addicting.

"It is the right time. I've been waiting all this time to find time to say it to you too. I know your mother is very traditional and even though you typically don't care about that I wanted to-" I cut him off with a kiss. "Stop being such a gentleman and tell me you love me." "If you're up for it I could show you rather than tell you." I pretended to act like I was shy until we got closer to Bucky's place. He fumbled with the lock and once we got in we both made love and I lost my virginity to the love of my life. Everything about it was perfect and just as I would have hoped. We took it slow as it was my first time, but it was perfect, just perfect. "I love you (Y/n) Phillips." "And I love you, James Buchanan Barnes... so much." We just cuddled and stared into each other's eyes, talking about the future until Bucky had to go and ship out. I got dressed and saw him off. After I did so I went back to my apartment. "Where have you been?! I've been worried sick!" "I was seeing Bucky off, ma." I started to cry as she hugged me, knowing how hard it was to see your person off. She had experienced it so many times with my father.

"Are you okay?" I sighed, "Bucky's gone and Betty and I aren't friends anymore. So not really. She tried to make multiple moves on Bucky, Steve ran off doing who knows what, and I already miss Buck." "I always knew that girl was a tramp. Gosh, back in my day-" I ignored her as she went on a tirade. I walked into my room and fell asleep with tears staining my pillows. I later found out over time that Steve had somehow gotten into the army as well. I had no one, but my mom. Eventually, though I even lost her. Somehow she'd been hiding that she was sick from me. She only got worse and apparently, she had contacted my father to see if there was anything he could do for me even with the war going on. In the meantime, before she passed, as I was caring for her in her last few days, I wrote Bucky letters. I got letters back through what my father called V mail. It was used to protect military personnel's secrets. I also wrote my father who put me in charge of closing out the apartment. Father said he'd be in Brooklyn soon and he'd see about getting me a job where I could stay near him while also becoming self-sufficient. I still hadn't heard from Steve and the letters from Bucky had started to get more sparse, though they were still pretty routine.

I got to the place in Brooklyn where I was to meet my father and as I got to the door I heard gunshots. I was pushed past by a man running away. "Excuse you?!" I then saw a woman running after him firing her gun at him. My eyes widened as she shot the driver perfectly from such a far distance with a simple pistol. "Nice!" Then another man pushed past me but apologized. He then jumped, tackling and saving the woman who shot the original driver from being mowed down by a car. He then apologized to her and started running. I got a good look at his face. "Steve?!" The woman ushered me inside as a bunch of other people ran after Steve and the man. "Ms. Phillips I'd advise you to stay inside." "Who are you? How do you know my name? Why does Steve look like that?" "I'm Agent Carter and I work with your father in the SSR." "In the what?!"

Eventually, Steve came back and Agent Carter explained everything while my father was busy doing cleanup with the government officials. Steve offered himself up to be a part of taking down Hydra and the answer was, "I asked for an army and all I got was you. You are not enough." "Dad! How dare you speak to my friend like that!" "Dad?" I groaned and rubbed my forehead. "Steve, Colonel Chester Phillips. Dad, Steven Grant Rogers, AKA my best friend." "This is your dad?" Agent Carter nodded as I clenched my teeth. "(Y/n), we can talk about this later, I'm busy." I groaned and turned around to see a senator talking to Steve about a project he was heading if Steve wanted a job that would help with the war effort.