008.

H O U R S    L A T E R

H O U R S L A T E R . . .

Two hours.

That's how long Zayley and Jordan had been stuck in the elevator.

They were able to contact local mechanics, who estimated that it would take thirty to forty-five minutes to get the elevator functioning again.

But obviously, that was a lie since they were still trapped inside.

Jordan was calm, sitting with his back against the wall while making beats with his hands against the stone floor.

Zayley paced the floor, thinking of how she could get in trouble with her supervisor for returning from her lunch break late.

"Can you stop tapping? It's giving me a headache."

"My fault." Jordan stopped immediately. He decided to occupy his time by watching Zayley frenetic in the small space.

"My god, what's taking them so long?" She groaned, glancing down at her watch.

"You good over there? You haven't stopped moving."

"I'm late for my shift at the hospital because the elevator stopped working. Not to mention, I'm stuck here with my ex. So no, I'm not good."

Jordan brushed off the snarky comment. He understood her outburst due to their current situation.

"Moses wasn't lying when he said you were a doctor," Jordan replied shortly after, taking in the charcoal gray scrubs that hugged her body.

"I'm not a doctor. I'm a physician assistant." Zayley mumbled, playing with the rings on her right hand.

Hearing this made Jordan break out into a smile. She always expressed her love of helping others. As the biggest bookworm, it was no surprise that she made her dreams into reality.

"It's good to hear you're doing what you've always wanted. I'm happy for you."

A sarcastic response was expected out of her, but Zayley surprised him as she stared at him with soft eyes. It was the first time since they were confined between the four metal walls, "Thanks."

Stopping her pacing, Zayley sat on the floor across from Jordan. "I'm happy for you too. I knew you were going to make it to the league."

"That means a lot coming from you. I preciate it." He said truthfully.

"Regardless of how things ended between us, I'll always be happy for your success."

"The feeling is mutual."

'Okay, we're finally getting somewhere.' He thought.

Through the mist of the silence, Jordan glanced over at the red error sign, "It doesn't look like we're leaving anytime soon."