014.

T W O    D A Y S    L A T E R

T W O    D A Y S    L A T E R . . .

"How come I had to hear from your sister that you broke up with Quentin?" Zina, Zayley's mother questioned as soon as her daughter picked up her FaceTime call.

"Dang ma. No hey, how's my daughter doing today?" Zayley knitted her eyebrows as she fixed her curls in the mirror.

"Hello, sweetheart. How's my youngest baby doing?" Zina inquired. However, you could hear the sarcasm in her voice from a mile away.

"I'm doing just fine, Mom. How are you?"

"Good, I can't complain. Now that we've dealt with that, can you answer my question?"

Zayley shook her head at her mother's antics. "I was gonna tell you, but I've been so caught up with everything else in my life that it slipped my mind."

"I'll let it go this time. I know how your schedule can get." Zina waved her off. "How are you holding up? I know that wasn't the easiest thing for you to do."

"I'm fine. And no, it wasn't. But it needed to happen for the sake of my happiness."

"If it means anything, I'm glad you're putting your happiness first. You always go above and beyond for others and I think it's time you do that for yourself."

"I know ma. Slowly but surely, I am." She reassured.

"That's great! I always tell you this, but I'm very proud of the young woman you are now and are becoming."

"Thanks, Mom. Have you told Dad? I know he's glad about the news."

"Happy wasn't even the word to describe him. He was bouncing off the walls." Zina explained.

Zayley playfully rolled her eyes as she applied her lip gloss. "Figures."

Besides Natalia and Kendra, Zayley's father, Kenneth, had to be the biggest Quentin Grimes hater. There have been dozens of times when Quentin tried to please her father. However, Mr. Palmer would overlook his attempts.

Throughout the relationship, Kenneth always explained why the boy wasn't good enough for his youngest daughter. Zayley never understood why her father was so adamant about her boyfriend and wished he had a change of heart. But to her dismay, Kenneth saw through Quentin's facade, hoping his daughter could see that for herself one day.

"Well, enough about him and his foolery. Where are you heading off to? Looking beautiful as ever, I may add." Zina smiled, admiring her child.

"Thank you. I had plans to hang out with a friend today, so here we are," Zayley replied, putting the final touches on her makeup.