Downs

"No Vale!! I don't want you leaving the campus at night! It's too dangerous!" Charles crossed his arms and looked at her.

"That's not fair! I can take good care of myself!" Vale gave Charles a sharp look.

"Vale I don't want to argue with you! I am your father and you do what I tell you! End of discussion!" He began to turn back to his work.

Vale snorted and stomped out of the office. She made straight for her room and slammed the door.

Charles sighed and leaned back. He had a headache. He had definitely imagined being a father to be less stressful. Still, he loved his children and wouldn't give them up again. He sighed again. He would check on Vale later and started typing on his typewriter.

A few hours later, Charles knocked on Vale's door.

"Vale dear, can I come in?"

No answer.

He knocked again. "Darling? Is everything all right?"

Again, no answer. He sighed and opened the door only to find the room empty. He frowned and looked at the clock. It was quarter to nine in the evening and normally she is always in her room at this time. Suddenly it dawned on him....

--

Vale had plopped down on her bed after the brief altercation with Charles. She thought about the recent events. So much had happened and she felt like she was going to collapse at any moment.

Harley suddenly broke up with her one day. He gave her no reason but just walked away and left her standing there. She had managed not to let on. A few days later she was suspended from hockey for a fortnight for allegedly assaulting a teammate. Of course she didn't do that, but nobody believed her. She didn't tell anyone about that either.

School went badly and the teachers gave her detention. At night she couldn't sleep a wink. Her nightmares got worse and worse and she woke up regularly with panic attacks.

She just couldn't take it any more. She didn't want to talk to Charles because she felt bad and didn't want to stress Charles, who was already overworked, even more. So she wants to see an old friend again.

Vale packed her backpack with some water bottles and then slipped out of the campus. She walked along the road for two hours until she turned into the forest. After half an hour of walking on the forest road, she finally arrived at her destination.

The cliff.

She walked to the edge of the cliff where she sat down. By now it had begun to darken, but she didn't care. She is back here now, with her friend.

She turns her head to look at Eijiro's tomb. A medium-sized stone with a yellowish white stain and a cheap chain.

"Eijiro... I wish you could come home with me."

She stroked her finger over the stone and smiled a little. This place felt so... magical. She felt safe, secure but also.... cold and empty.

As she watched the sunset, a few tears ran down her face.

Everything is too much. She is tired. But she does not want to sleep. As the sun disappeared she began to shiver. She wrapped her arms around herself to keep warm and leaned against a tree. She probably should have worn more than just the hoodie.... in late november.

After a while her fingers began to ache and she tried to keep warm with her flames. For a while this worked, but then she lost concentration and could no longer direct her fire. She made herself as small as possible and tried to warm herself up. Chattering her teeth, she fell asleep.