Chapter Five

I woke up automatically the next morning. The morning of my first day of fire-training.  

As I remembered, I bolted upright, ready to start the lesson. Hutser and Demitri's beds were empty and I ran outside, knowing that if I was late, they would be upset.  

"Ahh, record time, Samantha." Hutser stated, looking up at me from a scroll. 

"Good morning, Master Hutser." 

"Good morning. Did you sleep well?" Demitri asked. 

"Yes, sir. I did. I slept soundly without a single dream." 

"Good. You're going to need that sleep. Phase." Hutser ordered and I didn't hesitate a second. 

"Now, I want you to picture your throat. Do you see your vocal cords, breathing cord, eating cord and surrounding tissue?" He said and I closed my eyes, trying to picture it. I nodded and Demitri took over. 

There are also a few nodes there. They're settled between your vocal and breathing cords. One is glowing red, the very middle. Can you see it? 

Yes. I replied, my eyes still closed. I zoomed in on the red node. 

Now, I want you to picture the lid opening. You'll feel the click. 

I did so and felt it, and then I almost lost my head with excitement. 

This is your fire chakra. It is what contains your fire when you are not using it. Now that it is opened, take a deep breath and let it out with a silent roar. 

I did so, baring my teeth for added effect, and roared. A tube of Emerald green fire escaped from my jaws. 

Now, hold it as long as you can. 

A good five minutes passed before I was forced to close the hatch and my fire ceased. 

Hutser started clapping, smiling and cheering and Demitri smiled and his eyes told of his approval. 

"Well done, Samantha! Well done! That was spectacular!" 

Yes, well done. Well done, indeed. 

Thank you, Master Demitri. 

"Now, let's do it again. Try to hold it even longer."  

For three hours I breathed fire. Then, I was given a break with ground-fighting. Following three rounds of that, air-fighting. Demitri and Hutser had me transitioning from ground-fighting to air-fighting, then vice versa, until the sun began to set. We did more fire practice until it was almost midnight. Demitri and I went hunting and returned. I fell asleep as soon as my head touched my pillow.

Another few months passed and summer arrived. I could now hold my fire for an hour and I continued to beat Demitri in all of my classes. However, due to the heat, my studies were soon closed, much like a human school would close for the summer. With nothing to occupy my day, I wandered North, always with Demitri by my side. At first, both of us had argued with Hutser that Demitri had to stay with Hutser and help but Hutser refused and reminded us that he had lived alone for a hundred years and he could manage on his own for a few hours each day. So, Demitri flew with me to protect me should we meet any Scylla.  

Three uneventful weeks passed and I was starting to get bored. I visited the same places every day with Demitri and nothing had happened to spice my day up. That was when Demitri suggested a road trip of sorts. Hutser was well capable of caring for himself and he could see that I was getting less and less active. He said we would be gone for a few months. We could see all of Mystia in that time and it would get me active again. I liked that idea. I haven't been out of Hutser's territory since he and Demitri became my mentors. I needed to see the rest of Mystia and it would get my mind off Derek.