Chapter Twelve

And so the months progressed. Summer now turned into fall, and fall into mid-winter with snow on the ground. My anniversary of meeting Derek came and went and I took the whole day to analyze where I had been a year before and where I am know, how I have grown as a Drakonian and as a person.  

I sold the rest of the jewels and drained quite a bit of the money for wages, food, materials and such. In the meantime, I had not hired a single new maid, which would have to rectified soon, and the construction was coming along well. The first three floors were done and the garden well on its way to finished, with a massive pool disguised as a lake fully functioning. We now had water pipes, electricity, rooms that were now up to standards and many finished, employees settled in their new jobs, washers and dryers of the best quality and load capacity, worker uniforms designed for each job, space heaters in every room and heated blankets, Christmas trees up and decorated stockings hung and presents bought, wrapped and stored. All in all, everything was running great. The maids were coping with their demanding jobs, but I had to fire a few because they kept slacking off and leaving their work neglected. Not something I will tolerate. A couple maids jumped in to volunteer to take over their rooms until I could hire some replacements and now the rooms "have never looked better", said by Demitri just last night. 

It was lunchtime when I finally brought up the need to do a little traveling. 

"When I was in town a few months ago, I stopped at the maid service for some sister companies' addresses. The closest one is a hundred miles away." I opened the meeting. 

"Really? Well, that would require a trip if we intend on doing the whole process over there." Demitri replied. 

"Exactly what I was thinking. With five of the original maids fired, we need more maids desperately. We never had a complete crew to begin with, but now we need to hire the rest." Hutser put in. 

"Yes, I agree. The maids with the extra rooms have become tired, irritable and aren't performing at their best anymore. We should leave immediately. The men know their jobs well enough now, so we can be gone for about three weeks. How are the maids doing, Sam?" Demitri asked me. 

"Really well, Mary in particular." 

"Yes, she does have a knack for the supplies. When should we take off?" Demitri again. 

"As soon as possible. I can search out motels and make reservations tonight." 

"Good. It will take me a couple days to pack some good suits properly, so we should leave on Friday. What do you think, Sam?" 

"Sounds good to me. Hutser, can you hold the fort while we're gone? I know it's a lot." I asked. 

"Sam, I've trained a hundred Drakonians at one time before. I think I can handle running the construction of a castle." 

"Very well. Then its settled. We leave on Friday for Temescal City."  

After that, the three of us calculated how much longer until I can return to my training, some jokes that helped lighten the mood, then dessert was passed around and we separated for the night.

Three days later, Demitri, Hutser and I were in the clearing where we can phase and de-phase without fear of the workers watching, saying good-bye. Hutser and Demitri slapped each other on their backs, like typical boys do, and then Hutser and I hugged. "Sam, remember to practice your Ice. You still have a long way to go before you have mastered it, and Fire, though all Drakonians have a natural affinity for it, as well. You also should do well to keep fighting, but I think you should be introduced to the Hygen Oxys to increase your agility. And keep drinking your Marigold Tea to help you control your powers."