Chapter 5- Only one bed?

"Doflamingo... the notorious gangster... is your fiance?" She nods her head. I had to put down the kettle so that I wouldn't spill it over me. Of course, she was engaged to a mob boss. Her father was a politician, and having connections to the mob was something as regular as having butter on toast. When I look over at her, she was pulling and messing with the skin around her fingers. Finding this conversation to be very uncomfortable. "Do you love him?"

     "What?"

     "Nothing." Did I really just make a blunder that obvious? She's a key figure in a murder case. Who she loves or not has nothing to do with me. Or the case.

     "No! I mean-- no, I don't love him." Her face was turning a shade of warm pink. And the strings in my gut started to unravel. As if this new information eased me. To ease this now tense air. I clear my throat.

     "Well... that's good. You know, because I'll be doing my very best to send him to jail." She nods her head— with clumsy movements— in agreement. Trying to find anything to fix this air. I go back to pour tea for the both of us. Handing her, the less chipped, mug. "So, just why did you seek me out?" My back rested against the counter while she stood in the middle of the kitchen.

     "Because you're the only person I can trust." Her eyes glaze over. A layer of sadness swims in her eyes as she stares, deeply, into her mug.

     "But why me?"

     "My cousin would always talk about you with ease. Something he never did about anyone. In fact, he didn't really like anyone. Always assumed people "liked" him because of who his father was. He'd call you his brother. Even though he didn't really have any siblings." My chest tightened at the possibility. "He'd tell me stories about all the different kinds of mischief you'd both get up to college. I was always jealous of you. I wasn't allowed to go out, so I considered him my only friend. And always got annoyed when all he did was talk about you."

     "What's his name?" I already knew the name. But I needed to hear his name from her lips. She already knew that I figured it out. There were only so many people that could make an impact on someone like he did.

     "Ace." Her voice wavered. "He told me, before he—"

     "Wait! Just... just give me a second." I turn my face away from her.

     "Sabo, I know I can trust you. You're the only person who visits his grave. You're the only person he trusted with his secrets. You're the one who can help me get revenge for him."

     "Revenge? That's why you came to find me? His death was an accident!"

     "No, it wasn't! And I can prove it." My body shuddered at her words.

     "What?" Her eyes wavered but held a certain strength to them. Reaching into her bag. She pulls out a vanilla folder full of papers.

     "Look at these." I hesitantly walk closer to her. Knowing that whatever I see. There will be no going back. Ace, he is— was— my brother. Someone I considered family though I never had one. While I also considered Luffy my family. Ace and I had this understanding connection. Dysfunctional families, a vendetta against the current government, and rumbustious teen actions.

      In (Y/N)'s hands were some written papers— clipped together—, a cassette tape, and some photos that made the tips of my fingers twitch.

     "Where did— no, how did you acquire these?"

     "Before Ace... he knew what was going to happen to him. He considered it to only be a hunch and I only found out about this due to the fact that in his last few months he stayed at our winter villa with me." She hands me the photos. "These are the photos taken of Major Akainu before Ace was murdered." The photos were of Akainu looking down at a bloody body. The body itself was nearly non-recognizable. Except for the unique tattoo on the side of the arm spelling out, "ASCE".