2. The Leader

Who's out there? And why- why did they say my name?

     Cobweb listened to the discussion outside, but could not make out the words that were said in whispers. And soon, Clearwhisker stepped into the den, his scent mingled with that of another cat.

     And a small, light brown she-cat with white covering her paws and the tips of her ears and tail stepped in, green eyes shining and locking with Cobweb's single eye. She appeared young, yet old at the same time, an air of wisdom surrounding her. But a trace of impatience lingered. She smiled softly, her eyes portaying the forest in GreenLeaf- welcoming and warm.

     "Cobweb- I am Fallenstar, the leader of this clan," said the she-cat softly, sitting in front of the loner with her long tail curling around her dainty paws.

     Leader? Clan? These- These are clan-cats! How did I not realize that?

     "I- Hello," said Cobweb quietly, tiredly, and he stared at his paws. He felt so uncomfortable being unable to see through the corner of his right eye, especially now that Clearwhisker sat to his right. But he had to ignore such things- he was in a clan camp. His mother, Violet, had told him about the clans in strong detail, about how all of the cats were taught to fight or heal, and how each cat defended the others of their clan. She had told him about how each clan had a single camp, with one leader, one deputy, one or two medicine cats, and several warriors. Apprentices were trained, each apprentice having one warrior mentor. And all cats followed a set of rules laid down by their dead ancestors. And never, until now, did Cobweb question how Violet knew so much about the clans.

     "What happened in the forest?" inquired the she-cat that was Fallenstar. Cobweb had always imagined the clan-cats as being much more threatening-

     "There- There was a pack of dogs," mewed Cobweb. He could feel the tears tugging at his eye again. He had cried so much, and wondered just when he would run out of tears. It seemed like the answer was "never," but he bit back his grief as best as he could and closed his eye, exhaling slowly. "My sister and I- we were attacked by them and-"

     He struggled not to break down. A lump formed in his throat and he felt as if the dogs were tearing at his heart. He had no wish to say it, no desire to admit that she was indeed gone.

     "The dogs killed his sister, I believe," finished Clearwhisker. The words felt like claws digging into his chest, puncturing his lungs and heart all at once. And he dipped his head, a single tear falling onto the dark moss and soaking quickly into the plucked forestry. He was dried now, unable to cry any longer. And when he glanced up he saw unexpectantly that Fallenstar's own eyes were filled with sympathy, as if she knew his pain.

     "I understand that losing a littermate can hurt," said the she-cat. "And I'm sorry for your loss. I'll send out a patrol to find the body. Blackear will lead, since he knows where you were found." Her voice was low, calm and collected. "T-Thank you," said Cobweb, and Fallenstar nodded, looking to Clearwhisker. "Clearwhisker. I'm sorry to run you out of your den, but I would like to talk to Cobweb alone, please. In here."

     Cobweb watched as Clearwhisker left the den, and Fallenstar stared at him with extreme focus.

     "You're not a kittypet, I know that much. And I doubt you're a rogue, so a simple loner- most likely. Why were you in our territory in the first place?" Fallenstar questioned, although not hostilely. Cobweb dipped his head, attempting to recall the reason. His mind was far too fuzzy and he shook his head from side to side. "No- no, no, no, no, no- I can't remember- I-" he said in slight confusion. His mind was too preoccupied with his sister's passing. He thought as hard as he could but all that generated was a small headache. "My mind is- is a bit blank- I'm sorry."

     Fallenstar dipped her head in disappointment, but nodded softly either way. "It's fine. You've been through a lot, and what matters is that you're alive." She then smiled to him. "You must be hungry. I'll have someone get a mouse from the kill pile." Cobweb watched as she disappeared outside, and he curled up in the nest with his paws tucked under his white and black chest. He curled his tail around himself, staring at the moss. He missed his sister, who had stood up for him so many times, and who had led the two through hardships that had been dropped upon them. He closed his eye, dwelling on the times that the two had been able to support each-other as a full on family. Well- almost a full on family. His mother had died many moons ago, murdered.

     The strong scent of mouse hit him like concrete and his eye shot open, and he stared at the plump prey that lay before him, just at the white paws of a golden, long-furred she-cat. Cobweb looked up and stared at the cat's bright blue eyes, unblinking.

     "You better eat, silly," said the she-cat in her young, kit-like voice. "I'm Goldpaw. And you are?-" She tilted her head, her tufted ears flicking.

     "Cobweb-" replied the tom. "My name is Cobweb." He stared down at the mouse again. "Thanks-"

     Goldpaw grinned, nodded, and trotted out with her feathery tail held up.