#2 - Court Hearing

Flashback – one week ago

Civil Court: Anisha Birla murder case, hearing #2

Abhimanyu and Akshara stood facing each other, right outside the door of the courtroom. A thousand emotions concealed in their heart, and the only they could show was fire in their eyes to bring their siblings justice.

Abhimanyu's heart skipped a little beat when Akshara passed him a sad smile before walking into the court room. He knew the case was coming to its final closure today, but not in his dreams was he ready for the blow that was to come his way that day.

"Defence ab apni baat rakh sakta hai court ke aage. Kya aapke paas koi gawah ya saboot hain Kairav Goenka ko innocent prove karne ke liye, jiski baat aap pichle hearing mein kar rahe the?"

The lawyer stood up and took a glance at Akshara. "Yes, your honour. Sach chhipaya ja sakta hai, saboot mitaya ja sakta hai, lekin sach ki yeh khasiyat hai ki woh insaan ki tarha badal nahi sakta." He came forward, "I want to call Dr. Abhimanyu Birla in the witness box, with your permission."

The judge nodded. Abhimanyu stared at a determined Akshara grimly before walking up to the box.

"So, Dr. Abhimanyu," The lawyer approached Abhimanyu, "mujhe Miss Akshara-"

"Mrs."

"Sorry?" The lawyer came forward, "I didn't get you. Mrs?" he chuckled, "Aap dono ka toh divorce hone wala haina, kya farq padta hai?"

Abhimanyu was taken by surprise in the first question itself.

"Cc..can we.. stick to the case please?" Abhimanyu hastily replied, mentally slapping himself for not keeping his mouth shut.

"Well, change your habits then, doctor!" The lawyer shook his head and smirked. "So, mujhe Miss Akshara bata rahi thi, ke Birla House mein Anisha ko sabse zyada pyaar aap karte the."

Abhimanyu nodded.

"Sabse zyada usey aap hi samajhte the," the lawyer stared in all seriousness at Abhimanyu, "woh sabse pehle apne secrets aapse hi share karti thi?"

Abhimanyu nodded. "Yes. Sab jaante hain yeh baat. So?"

"Aur maan lo, woh aapse kuch share nahi kar paaye... baat jo thodi zyada personal ho..." The lawyer spoke cautiously, "Jo apne bhai ko bhi batayi na ja sake... Koi mann ki baat... Toh kis se share karti thi Anisha?" he asked, "Think and tell me."

Abhimanyu glanced at his family, and then at Akshara, looking at him expectantly. Abhimanyu closed his eyes and went back to all the times he had found his sister with a better companion than him.

"Diary."

Abhimanyu softly spoke up, "Anisha ki golden diary hi uski best friend thi, bachpan se." His eyes shot up at Akshara in a disturbing realization as he continued to speak, "A...Anisha ke bachpan se koi dost nahi the, jo thay bas hum teen bhai the." He turned his head back to the lawyer, "Jo..jo baat Anisha mujhse, kisi se nahi keh paati thi, woh uski diary jaanti thi."

"Ek saal hogaya hai Anisha ki maut ko, kya aapne ek baar bhi uski diary utha kar padhi?" The lawyer softly asked.

Abhimanyu stared at Akshara in a realization that hit him like a truck. One whole year, and Abhimanyu never paid heed to Akshara's side of the story. That maybe Anisha had something to say, something that she never could speak out loud. He should have searched for her diary, he should have tried to find out if Kairav tortured her to death, or if something else was the story of her life.

"Dr. Abhimanyu Birla," The lawyer flashed the golden diary in front of his face, "kya yeh Anisha ki diary hai?"

Abhimanyu looked like someone had sucked the life out of him. With eyes as wide as saucers, Abhimanyu stared at Anisha's golden diary in the lawyer's hand, and slowly turned his gaze to Akshara.