Sand in a Desert (Angel and Demon AU)

"Eulises, you can't be serious." Aslov sighed as he flew down from the heavens. "It's Themis, for one, and for two, could you wait a minute? I'm trying to do business here." Themis replied with a grin as the human in front of him watched Aslov in amazement. "An Angel..." He murmured, completely taken aback. "Hey, I'm a demon from hell. Aren't I just as impressive?" The demon taunted, smirking as he held a hand to his chest. "I- I don't mean to offend." The human stammered fearfully, causing Themis to throw his head back and hold his stomach in laughter.

     "Themis, stop tormenting the human." Aslov lectured. "Themis stop tormenting the human." Themis mimicked mockingly. "Look, Jeremiah, was it? I'm not gonna hurt you. I just wanna make a deal. Your soul, for this magic sand." Themis assured him with a grin, showing his sharp canines as he did. Aslov sighed, extremely conflicted about this. He had made a promise not to intervene, but he didn't think Themis was actually going to go through with their bet.

     "Uh..." Jeremiah said, looking nervously over at the Angel. "Aslov, you said you wouldn't interfere." Themis complained. "I'm not... I should be, but I'm not..." Aslov insisted. "Yeah but who's going to sell their soul in front of an Angel?" Themis huffed. "We made this bet because you were convinced you were soooo charismatic, consider this a challenge." Aslov countered with a smirk. Themis groaned, hoping the human wasn't going to catch on that this was all a joke.

     "I'm... just... going to..." Jeremiah began, slowly backing away. "No no no." Themis replied, leaping forward and gracefully turning so he stood behind the human. He placed his hands on Jeremiah's shoulders, and offered a charming smile. "This sand is magical, remember? You could bring soil to your people, and grow crops with it. I used the magic of an Angel to get it, so you wouldn't even be going to hell for using this." Themis persuaded in a smooth tone.

     Everything he said was a lie. The sand was just a bag of normal sand. The man would not only go to hell for this deal, but cease to exist completely afterwards since his soul would be absorbed by Themis. Even if that wasn't the case, there were instances where people have gone to hell just for being idiots. It certainly wasn't a perfect system, Aslov was aware of that. Unfortunately, there just wasn't much he could do to change it. All rebelling would lead to is being cast out, left with no choice but to prey on the souls of the innocent for his own survival.

     Despite Themis's obvious lies, Aslov still said nothing. When the human gave Aslov a nervous look, Themis turned Jeremiah to face him. "Pay no mind to the Angel, he's here to observe me, not you. Trust me when I say I'm the only person he ever judges. Well, me and himself, that is." Themis assured the human, giving Aslov a knowing smirk. Aslov just rolled his eyes, his arms crossed and his wings twitching a bit. Still, he stayed silent, always being one to keep his word.

     "And you're sure this will turn the land into soil to farm with?" The human asked sceptically. "As sure as fire is red." Themis replied, putting his left hand on the right side of his chest and raising his right hand. It wasn't a proper form of giving one's word, so Themis wouldn't be held to his promise, but it might be enough to convince the human.

     Sighing, Jeremiah accepted the sand, and signed the contract that Themis had given him.

     "A pleasure doing business with you. I'll see you when you die." Themis said casually as the contract snapped into a scroll and blinked out of existence. Before the human could respond, Themis sprung himself into the air, laughing pridefully as he spread out his wings and flew away. "You were conned, I'm afraid..." Aslov confessed, offering the human a sympathetic expression. "Don't worry, I'll probably be able to convince him to cancel the contract. He was just trying to prove a point." Aslov assured the human before flying off himself, hoping he could catch up to Themis.