𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.

"WHAT? Are you for real?"

"Shhh!! This is the library, Haechan... You don't want the librarian to kick us out, do you?" Renjun rolled his eyes at his cousin, who had just raised his voice.

"My bad," Haechan giggled quietly. "So? What happened next?"

"I ate the food."

"Without saying thank you?"

"I did tell him before going to class."

"What is his name again?"

"It's Jeno."

Haechan looked surprised. "Heol... Jeno sunbaenim?"

"S-Sunbaenim?" Renjun frowned. "I didn't know he was a senior. How do you know him?"

"Are you blind? It's on the student bulletin board. His picture is literally hanging there as 'top student' for the last semester, or something like that."

Top student? Why had Renjun never noticed that? Or was he just not aware of his surroundings?

"Look at the time! I need to go now. See you tonight." Haechan waved to his cousin before leaving the library.

Renjun packed his stuff and headed back to the dorm. He was relieved that his schedule wasn't packed today, with only one class on Monday.

Back at the dorm, Renjun noticed Jeno napping on the couch, with papers messily strewn across the table. He must have been doing assignments before falling asleep. Renjun decided to clean up quietly, hoping not to wake Jeno.

As he organized the papers, Renjun's eyes lingered on Jeno, and a small smile formed on his lips. Suddenly, a loud noise from the sky startled him. Renjun's heartbeat quickened. He hadn't expected the weather to turn stormy.

Renjun hated thunder. He liked rain but despised the loud, jarring sounds of thunder. He covered his ears with his hands, tears gathering before streaming down his cheeks.

"Renjun?" Jeno's soft voice broke through the noise. He frowned, seeing Renjun covering his ears and crying. "Why are you crying?" he asked, concerned.

"N-nothing, sorry for waking you up." Renjun quickly stood up from the floor. Before he could run away, Jeno grabbed his wrist and made him sit beside him.

"Talk."

"It's fine, Jeno, there's nothing to worry ab—" Renjun started, but another thunderclap made him flinch. He immediately clenched Jeno's shirt and shut his eyes. Jeno now understood why Renjun was acting this way.

Jeno glanced at the clock. He still had two hours before his calculus class. He sighed and slowly reached for Renjun's hand, which was clenched onto him, and clasped it.

"Hey... Look at me, Renjun." Renjun slowly lifted his head and met Jeno's sparkling dark eyes. Jeno wiped his tears with his thumb. "Want a cuddle?"

Renjun was taken aback but couldn't say 'no' to the comfort he craved. He nodded, and Jeno, without hesitation, pulled him into a hug.

The thunder continued to rumble outside, but within the safety of Jeno's arms, Renjun felt an unfamiliar yet soothing warmth. His usual fear began to ebb away, replaced by the steady rhythm of Jeno's heartbeat against his own. They stayed like that for a while, the storm outside contrasting sharply with the calm inside the dorm.

"Thank you," Renjun whispered, his voice barely audible over the storm.

"Anytime," Jeno replied, his voice a soft promise.

Renjun felt a strange sense of security. Maybe this new beginning wasn't as daunting as he had thought. With a friend like Jeno, perhaps he could face anything that came his way—even thunder.