Chapter 4: Reunion

Horns blared as the Hunt neared the fort nestled in a picturesque valley. In the distance a white city could be seen glimmering along with the blue of the river that ran through the valley. As the Hunters of Artemis drew closer the gates opened and figures started emerging. However, it wasn't to attack them. No, it was to welcome them.

"Ave, Praetor Jackson!" a teenager in golden armor and a flowing purple cape hailed as he approached the silver-clad huntresses. 

Percy rolled his eyes at the title before accepting the boy's hand. "Hello Jonathan," Percy said as he shook his hand. "It is nice to see you again."

"Likewise," Jonathan replied. "It is always a pleasure when the Huntresses of Diana visit. Camp Jupiter is always open to you!"

"And we really appreciate it," Thalia interrupted. "But if you'll excuse us, the girls are tired from the journey and wish to rest."

"Of course, of course!" Jonathan exclaimed. "Please, come in. Your quarters are waiting for you."

"Thank you," Percy replied. Before leading the Hunt into the fort. After a couple of minutes they reached a silver building, barracks built by the Romans for whenever the Hunt came to visit. After the monster attack 25 years earlier when the Hunters were camping on the Field of Mars, Praetor Frank Zhang decided to have barracks built so that the Legion could better house the Huntresses of Diana.

"Alright girls!" Atalanta yelled as they entered the barracks. "Get settled in, we have dinner with the Legion in two hours!" This brought on a chorus of groans from all the girls. They may have liked the demigods of Camp Jupiter far more than the demigods of Camp Half-Blood, but that didn't mean they like being around them more than necessary.

"And no castrations!" Percy added. "Please and thank you!"

With that said Percy and Thalia shared a look before turning and leaving. Their kids also shared a knowing look, their parents always went to the same place when the Hunt visited Camp Jupiter. As they left Clara stared at the door wistfully, as if she was considering following Percy and Thalia. A look of resolve suddenly passed over her face, and she dashed out the door after the couple.

Hand in hand, Percy and Thalia walked silently down the street before they exited the Roman fort and continued down the road towards the necropolis. As they were walking they heard fast footfalls on the cobblestone behind them, and turned to see Clara running towards them. Slowing to a walk as she approached, Clara came to a stop in front of the people she loved most. Well, out of the ones that were still alive, anyways. 

"Are you coming to see them, too?" Percy asked softly. Clara sadly nodded her affirmative, which the couple somberly returned. Slowly turning, the trio continued walking down the Via Praetoria towards the hill dotted with headstones.

After about 15 minutes the trio stopped in front of two headstones. Percy hugged Thalia close as they stood in front of them, while Clara fell to her knees and silently cried. The headstone on the left looked about a decade older, and had a sun engraved at the top. On both sides there was an inscription, one in Latin and the other in Greek.

JACOB APOLLON FIRTH
SON OF APOLLO, LEGACY OF ATHENA
LEGIONNAIRE, V COHORT, XII LEGION
XXI YEARS OF AGE, IN SERVICE OF New ROME FOR VIII YEARS
BORN APRIL 7, 1999 IN LOGAN, UTAH
BROTHER, FRIEND, HERO

The headstone on the right was still not new, but not as old as the one it was next to. It was very similar to the other with Latin and Greek writing, but instead of a sun, two flaming torches were engraved at the top. As they stood there, memories overtook them. They tried not to dwell on the deaths of the friends that they considered family, but they couldn't help it. Being in this place brought back so many memories. Some painful, and some good.