Chapter 16: the beginning of a mascarade

y/n pov

I was shaking, and despite being next to a warm fire, it did nothing to comfort me. It seemed everything around me disappeared. I was completely spaced out, my mind running around like crazy to have doubted the fact that it was my old friend Toya. It was only when a voice spoke that I was brought back to reality. "I don't want to force you to tell me anything, you can speak only if you feel comfortable to do so." Keigo's voice sounded patient but his expression was telling me otherwise. He looked so troubled and worried, his ears flicking in irritation as he seemed he couldn't calm down his racing heart,

"I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact it was him. He doesn't seem like the same person I knew. He said something will happen..." It started to become difficult for me to say much, me barely being able to form a sentence. I felt more worried than terrified, if anything. "Hey, you'll be alright, nothing and I mean nothing is going to happen to you." His ears stopped flicking, his eyes seeming calmer as he softened his gaze. He pulled me into a hug, thankfully calming my nerves down, his warmth was better than any fire. After a few minutes of enjoying each other's warmth, he stood up, fixing his outfit before looking at the door.

My eyes widened, quickly grabbing his hand, causing him to jump slightly from being surprised from the action. "Where are you going?" The words came out faster than meaning to, causing my heart rate to pick up. I didn't want to be alone. I didn't want to know what Toya meant, I didn't want it leading me or Keigo into trouble-

"I have to go. If I ever want to get to the bottom of what's going on at the palace, I have to be there. If I'm able to convince the king I'm on his side, maybe then I can learn more than what those books can ever offer. I'll bring you to the cafe so you'll be safe." He interrupted my inner thoughts as I spaced out slightly, until feeling his warm hand squeeze mine in reassurance. I nodded, standing with him.

"I'd rather not go there. I don't want to have anything happen to them, I would feel horrible if something happened while I was there-" He nodded, thinking for a moment before letting go of my hand. With a few quick movements, a warm barrier was put around the house. Invisible to the eye, but it was easy to feel the fox fire waves coursing around the house.

"I put up a barrier, to make you feel more secure. Only you and I can enter or exit, nobody else has the power to do anything against it." I nodded while feeling his body collide with mine in a rather quick motion.

"I promise I'll be quick, please no matter what you do, don't leave the barrier, and don't come after me. You'll be safe here." I felt his warm breath on my neck, before feeling a gentle kiss on my skin. My cheeks darkened as I suddenly felt more secure than ever.

"I trust you, I'll be waiting." I said with a nod as I watched him leave the house.

Hawks pov

When I arrived at the palace, I noticed a few stares. I had been gone for some time, making me anxious as I didn't want to be seen as suspicious. I was in quite a hurry, darting through the halls until I ran into a familiar person. "Hawks, you've returned, might I ask where you have been?" An apprentice of mine, Tokoyami asked. I smiled while rubbing the back of my neck sheepishly. "Would love to explain, but I need to speak with the king. Where is he?"

"I believe he's in a meeting with his council and the other warriors." I said a quick thanks before walking off, giving a lazy wave as he bowed at me.

I waited outside a room I suspected the meeting was happening in till the doors opened, after a few people left, he appeared. "King Endeavor, I need to have a word with you."

He gave me a suspecting stare, his eyes peering into my own as I held his glare. After a few moments, he hummed. "As you wish, follow me to a more private area." I nodded as he began walking. I shoved my hands in my pockets, inhaling as I knew the party had only just started.