i. happiness is just the absence of pain

one

one.

HAPPINESS IS JUST THE ABSENCE OF PAIN.

Hungry, homeless and wanted by every cop in town for a bunch of murders. All Marcus wanted was something mundane that everyone takes for granted. A place where he could feel at home, sleep easy and know what his next meal would be.

"If you're rich, it's probably because you deserve it," he thought as he paced the dark alleys, his eyes stoned from the joint he'd picked up off the ground.

He could already feel the effects turning his brain inside out, this was not a good idea.

"The Feast of the Dead is tonight?" he wondered as he heard the amused laughter of passersby down the street. Various colors twirled in the air as the boy's head bobbed back and forth.

There was electricity in the air.

Being high in public was something Marcus didn't know how to handle, and it was making him paranoid. He had the strange feeling he was being watched.

And he was right.

Two small blue eyes watched the panicked young boy move through the euphoric crowd without losing sight of him for a moment.

A young girl sat on the edge of a house, dangling her feet in the air as she nibbled her lower lip.

She was frustrated and perhaps a little annoyed.

Her mission was to. . . wait.

She was to intervene only in cases of extreme necessity, and as everything seemed to be going according to plan, the girl waited calmly despite the storm in her eyes.

Marcus, on the other hand, was unaware that little blue eyes were staring right at him.

He was far too entranced by the slow, sensual dance of the girl in the red dress. Her brown eyes surrounded by skeletal make-up were fixed on his person, as if hypnotized by her movements, everything around the boy had become insignificant.

Time had stopped.

But the contact between the two was broken when a boy a head taller than Marcus grabbed his elbow. He twirled it in his direction and muttered a quick, "Dude, you've been spotted."

Policemen stood a few paces away, half-hidden behind the black boy's large frame before Marcus fled.

From that moment on, Marcus' brain disconnected, losing track of time. It was an emotional elevator. His heart was beating so fast in his ribcage that he even forgot to breathe on several occasions: between the frantic race, the mysterious girl on a motorcycle, the arrival of the police and the fight scene unfolding before his eyes.

It all seemed surreal.

But the show's lights went out as a swift black veil passed before his eyes, plunging him into darkness.

And the story could now begin.

☆彡

notes:

HelloOoo! This chapter was a kind of introduction! :))

See you soon & thanks for the votes <3

- Lux