Chapter 1

Grian would never be able to fully comprehend how the rift worked, that he knew. He was just a player, an admin too at one point but those days are mostly over now.

Even when the Watchers experimented, attempting to give him the gift of their powers, not much changed.

Sure, they had given him a few sets of false wings and a couple of staffs that could conduct some Watcher magic, but he was never a real Watcher. He couldn't be. You simply couldn't alter one's code like that. So he would always just be a player.

But there was always a part of him that wanted to give into his morbid fascinations. No matter how much he hated something or felt afraid of it, part of him still wanted to know more. He loved playing with things he couldn't fully comprehend.

He knew the gist of it. The rift was supposed to lead to other realities. Other servers, dimensions, time periods, what have you. That was what he knew and had hoped would result from a rip through the fabric of the universe.

But when he created it, he fully accepted that he had no clue what would come out of it. How could he? How could he understand something so complex? He couldn't.

One of Grian's flaws, one that he was rarely smart enough to avoid, was that he didn't usually think things through all the way.

Pranks were different. Of course he thought through his pranks most of the time, he was a master at them. You didn't become a master at something without putting some effort in.

But sometimes he did things without considering if he should even do it. Sometimes he got into things he shouldn't have. That's what he always did, no matter how he tried not to.

Of course the rift would have unforeseen consequences when Grian didn't even bother to try and foresee them in the first place.

He rarely thought things through. It was a flaw that coursed through his veins, accompanied only by his blood.

It was the same exact flaw that inevitably led him to this point in his life. Now here he was, lying on the ground and looking up at two very familiar faces from his past. Faces which stared back at him with wide eyes.

Two boys, one with bunny ears and one wearing headphones, looked at him and looked back at each other, pure confusion and curiosity spread across their faces.

Grian sighed, reaching an arm up to pinch his nose. This could only be the work of the rift. Looks like he had a problem of his own making. One he had to deal with himself. This was just wonderful.

He sat up slowly, palming at his forehead as he felt the beginnings of a migraine pound at his skull. The two high schoolers backed up slightly to give him space as he leaned towards them.

"Gree-on?" Sam asked, a suspicious uncertainty in his voice.

Grian sighed even deeper, narrowing his already closed eyes. His headache only got worse with the rabbit hybrid's familiar mispronunciation of his name.