Chapter 3

I just left one of my classes when Enid invited me to join her and Wednesday on a boat. I readily agreed, and she dressed us in matching cat outfits, drawing whiskers on my face. She grinned, hoping to do the same for Wednesday, but she refused. We hopped into our boat.

"Oh look! Aren't they adorable little kitty cats!" Enid exclaimed. Wednesday shot back, "By the way, I'm not saying I'm better than everyone; just that I'm superior to you." I was perplexed, and so was Enid as they began the countdown.

We started paddling, and I noticed one of the boats being taken down by some unseen force, leaving me bewildered as we continued. I felt our boat veering off course. We picked up the pace, but it felt futile until suddenly it all stopped, and we reached the flag. We punctured a hole in one of the boats before leaving it behind, narrowing it down to just our boat and another one that managed to slice the sides. We sprinted towards the finish line.

"And we have our splendid winners!" we cheered as we raised our hands in triumph. It grew overwhelmingly loud, prompting me to step away. I made my way to my dorm, changed into sweatpants and a simple T-shirt, slipped on my shoes, and ventured downstairs into the hallway where I overheard more chatter. The principal was on the phone. "Yes, we have a new winning team; thank you for providing us with the cup. It means a great deal." I decided to dismiss it and headed into the inviting warmth of the library, setting my books down.

Hours later, exhaustion washed over me, and while I didn't want to disrupt the principal, I knew I had to address whatever was happening between us. I returned the books to their rightful places and approached her office, where she glanced up. "Hi," she greeted. I shut the door behind me.

"So... I need to speak with you," I stated. She nodded in response. "I have something to express first." I acquiesced. "What's unfolding between you and me cannot continue; it's inappropriate for me to engage this way with a student." She added. "I was just about to discuss the very same thing; I didn't want this to prolong either," I replied, to which she nodded in affirmation. "Goodnight then," I said. "Goodnight," she echoed. I made my way back to my dorm and lay down. "About time you showed up," Wednesday remarked. "I'm sorry, just dealing with some stuff." Suddenly, her head shot up. "Wednesday?" She turned back. (This scene I'm about to describe never actually happened.) "Enid, she's in the woods with a boy, but something else is lurking there," she stated, standing up and putting on her shoes as I did the same. I grabbed a blanket, wrapped it around me, and tied it as we climbed through the window and sprinted towards the woods.

"What do you think is happening?" I inquired. "She's in danger," was her response. I nodded, and we quickened our pace, finally stopping at a tree where we spotted them. "Wednesday? Y/N?" Enid called out. "We need to leave; it's unsafe. I got a vision," she told Enid. "About—" a loud growl interrupted our conversation, prompting us to flee as quickly as possible. We dashed out of the woods, the growl growing ever closer. We turned to see a massive creature. "Go!" Enid exclaimed. "No, we can—" the boy began to say. "Trust her. We must go!" I insisted, grabbing his hand along with Wednesday's. "We'll return!" I shouted as we all rushed indoors. "What are you?" I asked the boy. "I'm a wolf, and I need to help her!" he replied before rushing back out; as he transformed into his wolf form, Enid did the same, and together they lunged at the creature, enough to send it fleeing.

"What are you all doing down here?" a voice demanded. Enid and the boy entered right after me. "Um..." "All of you in my office, now," Mrs. Larissa ordered. As we gathered in her office, she eventually sat down. "Now, explain—one at a time." "I had a vision about Enid and him in the woods. Y/N accompanied me to see what was happening." She gazed at me, "Is that accurate, Y/N?" "Um, yes, it is," I confirmed. "If it wasn't for them, he and I might have been caught off guard, and you know..." Enid added. "Very well. Everyone back to your dorms," she commanded as everyone else shuffled out, but I remained behind. She looked at me, "I apologize for sneaking out; I just..." I started. "It's fine... just head back to your dorm, okay?" she replied. I nodded goodbye and ascended the stairs, only to feel a ringing in my ears.

"Ow..." I winced, trying to quicken my pace but finding my body resisting. I pushed myself onward, only to stumble and crash at the base of the stairs, my head colliding and plunging me into unconsciousness.

I came to in what appeared to be a shed, with someone standing before me. "Hello," she said. Mrs. Thornhill? "Um?" I managed, slowly blinking my eyes. "What happened?" I asked. "I had to do what was necessary," she replied calmly. "Alright, and what is it that you need?" I inquired. "A favor. A rather important favor," she said, prompting me to ask, "Which is?" "I need you to follow everything Wednesday plans to do and uncover her secret." "How and why?" "Because I told you so. Unless I need to compel you to comply." "Okay, okay." "Each time you gather new information, come directly to my office, no matter the hour," she instructed. I nodded. "Now, back to bed," she demanded. The ringing intensified, and I fell back into unconsciousness.

What exactly has she just tasked me with? And why?