CHAPTER 105

"Mihrimah your only option is a wet nurse otherwise your daughter will starve" I explained. Mihrimah sighed defeated and handed me her daughter, she has been struggling to breastfeed her daughter and the whining was giving me a headache, I loved Mihrimah to death but she has to accept that she was not producing enough milk.

"I know you are right, mother Qamar, however, I cannot bring myself to hand her to another woman to feed" Mihrimah responded. I chuckled kneeling down beside the crib and placing baby Hümasah in it. I moved to sit beside Mihrimah on the bed.

"I know how you are feeling, both I and your mother went through that and I ended up feeding Mehmed because he refused the wet nurse when your mother got banished" I wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to me.

"I remember you telling me this story years ago" Mihrimah chuckled. I placed a kiss on the crown of her head as she finally relaxed and accepted the reality of the situation. Someone knocked on the door and walked in without waiting for permission, it was Halil and he looked panicked.

"What is the matter, Halil?" I asked worriedly

"What is the matter, Halil?" I asked worriedly. Halil is not one for overreaction, it was Sümbul's personality, not Halil's.

"Ayse Sultan, she went into labor and they sent for you, Sultanim" I jumped off the bed. Mihrimah looked just as worried as me.

"Send to the palace and inform Rüstem and Suleiman, immediately" I ordered. I pulled on my coat and a maid helped with my headscarf. I walked over to Mihrimah who had a frown on her face, over the past two years she and Ayse grew closer, it seemed when some distance was put between the two girls after they moved into their individual palaces, they finally understood each other.

"I will send you information as fast as possible" I leaned down and placed a kiss on Mihrimah's head. I walked out of her room as fast as possible and made my way out of her palace where a carriage was already prepared. I got in and ordered the driver to drive as fast as possible.

When we reached Ayse's Palace a horse was already there being taken to the stables. I walked into the palace to find concubines and aghas running around some with towels and some with bowls filled with bloody water. Ayse's screams filled the halls making me wince at the reminder of how painful giving birth was, Mihrimah was less vocal about her pain than Ayse. I found Rüstem pacing around in front of the door looking as pale as snow.

"Why are you here already?" I asked. He jumped at the sound of my voice. He turned around and bowed to me respectfully.

"Sultanim, I could not sit and wait for the news" He answered. I chuckled and nodded my head. Another scream made us both wince and Rüstem even more worried now.

"I will go in and check on her" I knocked on the door. The doors were opened by two maids and I stepped in before they closed the doors again. I took off my headscarf and coat before washing my hands, a strict rule of mine during labor and giving birth was that everyone has to wash their hands.