Chapter 3

Heldon stared at the body that was now at his feet. Killing was easier than he thought. The human body was so fragile. Its highest recorded years of life only numbered 122. But, he could change that. Yes, long ago there was a group of alchemists called the brotherhood. Together they had figured out the secrets of longevity, the secrets of becoming the gods on earth we were meant to be. Yet they were hunted, and so hence forth disband. Yet their work survived, put into the hands of one individual person, Nicholas Flemmel. He was said to be the founder of the brotherhood and, should therefore, guard their work. Only one command was given to him when he took the ultimate responsibility, never use it. He was given a key to the cosmic universe, and was forbidden to use it.

Deeply angered, Nicholas fled to France, where, with a cover story, he married his wife and created one of the experiments. Eventually the rest of the brethren found out of this monstrous betrayal of trust and, using devious methods, killed Nicholas and his wife. Only, when they looked upon the face of his 1 year old child, they couldn’t find the wickedness in them to perform the deed. Also, they found that it would take an enormous amount of energy to destroy the experiment, and the energy needed would bring their existence back into the eye of the average citizen, so they decided against it. The brotherhood then fled the continent, leaving the ultimate power in the hands of a 1 year old baby. Using some of the more notable members of the brotherhood as message senders, they left the baby to some of the most notable dignitaries in France. The boy was accepted as a prince, and the experiment was passed down from generation to generation, no one wanting to unlock its power for fear of the brotherhoods revenge. It was placed, in a locked safe, known only to royal blood. This particular safe was in the heart of the catacombs. Strangely this is exactly where the tracker, on Nick’s car had stopped, just moments ago.