Ch. 13: Midnight Meeting

Chapter Song: Bastille - Flaws (very 2011)

"They can't do that!" George Weasley groaned and shook his head as we all got up from the table to go to the dorm. George stood up and glared at Dumbledore. "We're seventeen in April-why can't we have a fair shot?"

     Fred scowled at the table where all the teachers sat and shook his head, stubbornly. "They aren't stopping me from entering, the champions'll get to do all sorts of stuff you'd never be allowed to do normally. Plus, a ten thousand Galleons prize?!" 

      I sighed and shook my head at the both of them, they were too damned stubborn.

"Hey, Liza-you going to join us or not?" Lana called from across the hall, she was socializing with Jenna, Mione and Ginny. I cringed inwardly. I hated everything that spoke of my full name. Even Liza made me squirm.

I stuck my tongue out at them. "It's Elle!" I turned to see Fred and George deep in a conversation so I shrugged it off and jogged over to my friends.

Hermione sighed and watched Harry, Ron, Fred, and George plan out how they would somehow get around Dumbledore's rule and put their names in anyway. "They are going to get themselves killed one of these days." 

     "I don't know, Hermione," Lana casually said, tossing her thin arms behind her head and interlocking her fingers as we exited the Great Hall. "It sounds like fun, I'd do it -- what about you guys?" Lana grinned at the rest of us and I shrugged.

     "Nah, probably not. I like to talk big but when it comes to a real magic duel, well, it's just better if I stick with my fists. Jenna?" 

      Jenna shook her head. "Are you kidding? I will leave that up to the boys. I don't think duelling magic is really my style. Besides, it's a lot more fun to watch that way anyway," she teased. "Kidding."

Ginny nodded and giggled. "That's true." She snuck a glance behind her shoulder and I watched as her gaze fixed upon Harry. Really? Ginny went for Harry Potter? Interesting...

     The halls of Hogwarts were as magical as the outside. Thick, stone-carved pillars and winding stairways all intermingled, forming a beautiful Gothic Castle. Portraits and paintings scuttled about their perches, peering eagerly down at the studious crowds that had returned. They murmured and talked freely, sometimes shouting a warm 'Welcome back to Hogwarts, young ones!' 

     As our fairly large group began to ascend the last staircase, we noticed a poor boy stuck on one of the steps. His foot was jammed in a loose step, and no matter how he tugged, he was unable to get free. I could tell by the pink tint on his cheeks that he was slightly embarrassed. "Oh, Neville. You're stuck again?" Hermione shook her head pitifully and sighed.

     "Are you alright?" Jenna asked, rushing forward to help Neville out. "How can I help?"

      "I'm okay," Neville sighed, blushing a little harder. "It's this trick step. I always think to skip it,... but then, I guess the wrong one."

     "We gotcha, mate. Hold on." Ron chuckled as he and Harry put two arms under Neville's armpits and heaved him out of the trick step. Meanwhile, an enchanted suit of armour at the top of the stairs began to shake with laughter.

     The boy named Neville smiled at us and thanked Harry and Ron. "Uhm, I'm Neville. I-It's nice to meet you." He waved at me, Jenna and Lana.

"Hey, nice to meet you too. That is Lana, and this is Jenna." I pointed to them before turning my thumb on to myself. "And I'm Elle. We are in Gryffindor as well."