Introductions

Note: This is a draft. There may be spelling & grammar errors, plot holes, and/or inconsistencies. These will be corrected during revision. Please comment or highlight and give feedback if you notice anything! Be as specific as possible - your feedback helps me a lot! :)

"What did this one do," Gina asked as she watched Selene tear up and toss a business card in the trash.

"Lawyer, I think," Selene replied.

"Lawyer," Gina called out.

Another waitress placed a line on a board that had a list of careers for the men who kept giving waitresses cards in attempts to get dates. There were columns for each of the women who got hit on and the marks were placed underneath each name.

"Girl, that is your third lawyer this weekend," Tiffany exclaimed. "I keep getting these lame ass accountants."

Gina laughed and pat Tiffany on the shoulder. "They're still making decent money, girl," Gina told her. "This place ain't cheap, so clearly they're willing to spend money."

"Better than doctors," Beth said as she walked by. "They're never home!"

Selene sighed and shook her head. "They all only want one thing. Not worth the time."

"Sometimes that's the only part worth having," Tiffany responded. "Some of them aren't even worth that."

"See, the POS system crashed. Boss called the service company, but we've got customers about ready to check out," Deana, the hostess, said as she stuck her head in the break room. "Boss said he needs you at the counter."

Everyone groaned and looked at Selene. "I'll get Beth to help me with your tables," Gina said, standing up to leave the room, too. "Don't worry. We will get you your tips."

"Thanks," Selene said before rushing out of the room.

She made her way back to the front of the upscale restaurant. Once in the front, she made a beeline to the counter where the register was. Her boss was on the phone, looking irritated. When he saw her, he waved her to the register. Selene pulled out the calculator and a notepad and placed it on the counter before popping the register tray open so she had access to the cash. An older credit card scanner was pulled out and connected, placed there to her right. This was the third time this month that the point-of-sale system had gone down, and they'd all quickly learned Selene knew how to do everything manually from working at an old mom and pop place a few years ago. The place had no registers, so she'd learned to do it all by hand first.

"You are my lifesaver, See," her boss said with the phone mic covered. "I will cover any tips you lose tonight. Are you ok to stay to close?"

Selene nodded and straightened her vest. "No worries, Paul. Happy to help."

"You're an angel," he said right before his focus returned to the phone. He wandered off to keep the customers from hearing the conversation.

Over the next few hours, Selene was wrapped up in calculations and paper for the waitresses as they handed her their tickets to total up, then again when she was brought payment by the other waitresses or by the customers themselves. Fortunately, the vast majority of people were patient and understanding, even empathizing. However, Selene was in her element as much as she was when she moved through the tables. One of the things she was naturally good at was math and cash handling came as an extension of that.

It was toward the end of the night when a tall, dark-haired man approached the counter. The man's eyes were chocolate brown with specks of gold in them and focused on her with an intensity that made Selene uncomfortable. The faint scent of expensive cologne drifted from him.