It Only Takes One

They did use the swing the next night, and the harness the night after. Selene relished the experiences, trusting Nick would ensure she was safe and enjoyed the experience. Of course, the things were all things he wanted to do and enjoyed. Her bravery increased as she more and more wanted to please him. Their day-to-day became increasingly intimate as well. The two were always touching in some way, looking at each other, or smiling at each other with love shining in their eyes. A blind person could have seen the love between them.

However, all was not well. They had noticed that the security seemed to be ramped up around the house and everyone was on edge. Selene, who picked up very quickly to other peoples emotions, had become tense and anxious as a result. Bothered by how their behavior was affecting her, he cornered Rosa to find out what the hell was going on.

"You guys are upsetting Selene. She knows something is wrong. Tell me what's going on, now," he demanded calmly.

Rosa looked toward the exit, then sighed and nodded. "Fine. We found the car of the agents who were originally assigned to you."

"And," Nick prompted when she hesitated.

"Both were dead. Their credentials and weapons were taken, as well as the file they had on Selene, along with the contact information of Ahmed, yours, hers, and this address."

Nick swore under his breath, putting his hands on his hips and pacing several steps.

"Do you know who did it?"

Rosa shook her head. "Nothing was left behind. They're going to try to identify the gun that fired the bullets. One of those men left a pregnant wife and two small children behind."

Nick was crushed. Selene would be devastated. He rubbed his fingers across his forehead, as if to smooth the deep lines that had formed.

"Fuck... Fuck... ," his head was spinning as he realized just how dangerous the situation really was. "If... I... "

"I understand," Rosa said quietly. "It's not your fault; it's not Selene's fault. It's a the risk we take to do a job we love."

"It's just...," Nick stopped, at a complete loss. He took a moment to collect his thoughts. "I want to help her. The other man's family, too. How do I get them money to help them with anything they need? Do they have a mortgage? I'll pay that off, too. Whatever they need."

Rosa was a bit taken aback. "That really isn't normal, but I'll check around and see how that would need to be done," she assured him. "I don't know if there are regulations on that or not, but as soon as I find out, I'll let you know."

Nick nodded. "So, is there anything else I should know?"

Rosa's eyes darted toward the door, then looked back at him and lowered her voice. "Selene's father escaped. We are trying to locate him."

"When did this happen," Nick asked with alarm.

"Two days ago."

"Fuck! Why weren't we told?"

"We didn't want to upset her in case he was apprehended quickly."

Nick sighed, then took a deep breath and nodded slowly, calming down. "I get that. They are usually caught fairly quickly, though, right?"

"He um... someone helped him," Rosa admitted hesitantly. "We think he was out of the area within a few hours."

"So you think he might be coming here?"

Rosa looked out the window. "Maybe. If he's learned where she is. We also don't know who he's been in contact with, so we've been monitoring several individuals that he had previous regular contact with. We are also watching the toll booth for the interstate. He would have to go through there to get up here. We're also watching the airports and bus terminals."