Office Party

Selene stepped out of the room and Nick's heart skipped a beat. The dress she wore for tonight's event was emerald with silver and gold embroidery, the silky looking material flowing like water with every movement. It was fairly simple with off-shoulder sleeves that ended just past her elbows and gathered gently under her breasts with it's empire waist. Her hair had been styled in an elaborate-looking hairstyle with silver and gold pins with emeralds dotting it. The multi-toned gold collar necklace he'd bought looked perfect with small earrings that matched.

It was a very elegant, sophisticated, classic look that suited her incredibly well.

"Wow. You look... wow," was all he could manage.

Selene laughed at his reaction, walking toward him with a smile on heels that allowed her to stand almost level with his shoulder. "I take it you approve?"

Nick nodded as his eyes continued to tae in everything. "You're breathtaking."

Selene smiled in that somewhat shy way she did at the compliment. Anyone else got a smile and thank you, but from him, it had a far greater impact and often left her unable to reply.

"I have something for you," Nick finally said, pulling a black velvet box out of his pocket. "It's special made, so I hope you like it" he explained as he opened the box nervously.

Inside, a platinum ring held a cushion-cut emerald of very high quality that was almost the exact color of her eyes. Filigree patterns wrapped around the sides of the gem and onward to halfway around the band. Small white diamond chips were scattered within the pattern, giving it some added sparkle. Nick carefully pulled the delicate piece of jewelry out of the box.

"I brought them pictures to find a stone that matched your eyes," he explained as he placed the box on a nearby plant stand. "I-I was going to wait, but I decided to do this early."

Selene reached up and put a hand on his arm. "It's beautiful."

Nick smiled quickly, taking her left hand and sliding it up her ring finger. "I want everyone to see that you're mine, Selene. I want them to know that you are the most important person in my life and that I... I care so very much about you," he said as he struggled to control his emotions. "Not just mine because we're playing a part, though, Selene," he said, meeting her eyes. "I want this to be real. I want you to really, truly be mine. I want a future with you. I want to see where this can go., because right now the only thing in the world that scares me is the thought of losing you."

Tears welled up in Selene's eyes as she stared at him, speechless as her own emotions overwhelmed her.

"I know I'm a lot older than you and I know this won't always be easy. But, I want to fight the fight with you and stand by your side as you face the monsters and I want to know that you'll still be here once all that's over. Maybe my age and experience will help me to be the man you need. Please, Selene," he asked in a strained voice, "let's do this for real. No more friends – I want it all. I want it with you, and no one else."

Selene's arms wrapped around him as she gripped him in a surprisingly powerful hug. When she felt she could speak, she pulled back and looked up at him.

"Are you sure? I – I've not really had much experience in this area," she said anxiously.

"I can be patient. I will help you. But, I'm learning here, too, so I could screw up now and then," Nick countered. "Please, Selene."

"Do you think there's really a chance it could work?"

"I am certainly determined to make it work. We can't know if we don't try."