Chapter 26

⚠️ Trigger warning ⚠️
Mentions of rape, assault, abuse, torture, and general violence. Prostitution, and drug use.

-------------------------------------------

2. August, 5 am

The ugly naked truth of being a pet was right in front of me. The smell of stale blood and urine was overwhelming, the stench of death hung around me like an invisible curtain.

I thought I had it bad with my experience in the pet shop, but this... this is horrendous.

Around 15 of us, former pets, stood in a line while the men in uniforms questioned us.  Some were sobbing at the top of their lungs. Others stared blankly at nothing like they were not aware of what they were going through.

The most lively-looking were Cora and I, even with all the dirt on our teared-up clothes. She stood right beside me and carefully listened to the questions.

I on the other side couldn't focus on them at all. My mind was filled with these pitiful humans. Maybe two or three of them had some clothes on while the others were naked. The people here gave them blankets to cover up but they threw them aside in a second.

On the other hand, they didn't even look like humans anymore. It's gut-wrenching seeing those dirty faces, with no life in their eyes.

Bodies covered with bruises and fresh wounds. Some had claw marks all over their stomach or chest.

On the far left stood a girl who just blankly stared in front of her. The scars across her face looked like burn scars and it's not hard to imagine what caused that.

She was probably 17 or so years old, with short black hair. Her arms were wrapped tightly around herself,  protecting her body from everyone else's gaze.

It was only when she flinched and raised her arm that I started paying attention to the questions. I looked around to see everyone raising their hand in the air.

I could feel Cora stiffen beside me as but she kept her hands down.

Not knowing what the question was made me feel incredibly nervous as I wanted to be of help to them but that's hard to do when you're not paying attention. So I kept my hands down.

"I am sorry to hear that." The guy in charge said. "First thing tomorrow morning the doctor will visit you all to remove a possible unwanted cell."

"What if I don't want it to be removed?" The girl on the far left asked, her voice barely audible.

"Depends," He replied as he scratched his chin, "Would the cell be the product of the same vampire who caused those scars on your face?"

She nodded. "Yes, he forced me. And he also burned the skin of my face. But this here," She motioned to her stomach, " This is mine."

"No. Half vampires are as dangerous as the pure ones and we don't want any accidents here" He said.

"I can teach it to be kind and-"

"You don't have a say in this. You cannot tame a vampire or change its nature." The man interrupted.

"It's my child!"  She screamed. "My own flesh and blood. You can't kill it."

"It's a dangerous monster that will eat your insides before it's even ready to be born. We won't risk your safety for it." He said matter of factly. "We're taking care of it. Just follow the doctor's orders. You're dismissed now." One of the men walked past the line and escorted her out of the room.

"Now, where were we." The man continued, "Any history of drug use?"

More than half girls raised their hands. Which is surprising since it's quite common to drug pets. Especially when they get too boring for their masters.