𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄'𝐍

Details: 1431 words. The punch is spiked.

She'd never admit it if you asked, but Wednesday was having the time of her life.

The music was blasting and the DJ was actually playing good songs. She allowed herself to get lost in the beat and dance like no one was watching. Tyler's smile only got wider as she fully expressed herself.

A few hours in, both she and Tyler were out of breath. His cheeks glowed a bright red through the dim lighting.

"Do you want a drink?" Tyler yelled to her over the loud thumping of the bass. Wednesday nodded and he was on his way.

She went to sit at an empty table to catch her breath. A few moments later, someone sat next to her.

"Hey."

Wednesday glanced to her side and saw that it was Xavier. She knitted her brows together.

"Hi."

"Are you having fun?"

"I am."

Xavier just nodded, looking out onto the dance floor. He fiddled with his fingers.

"Are you?" Wednesday said to break the silence. Xavier sighed.

"Yeah."

They looked at each other. Xavier's smile didn't reach his eyes.

"You're lying."

Xavier sighed again, letting out a short chuckle. He shook his head and let it hang.

"Why are you here with him?"

"Because he asked me," Wednesday answered matter-of-factly.

"But we were supposed to go together first!" Xavier turned his body to face her as he yelled over the music. "I wanted to go with you first!"

Wednesday just stared at him.

"But you said you never even wanted to go, so we didn't. And now you're here with him." Xavier finished.

"I don't see how that's a problem. I changed my mind."

"Yeah, for him. How is he better than me?"

At that moment, Tyler returned with drinks.

"Oh, hey Xavier," he said as he sat next to Wednesday and passed her a cup. "I would've grabbed you a drink as well if I knew you'd be here."

"It's fine," Xavier rolled his eyes. "I was just leaving."

Tyler watched him go with confusion in his eyes. He turned to Wednesday.

"What's his problem?"

"It's not a big deal," she answered, taking a sip of the punch. She let out a funny face as it went down.

"Does this taste weird to you?" Wednesday asked. Tyler took a sip from his glass as well. After he had swallowed, he let out a loud laugh.

"It's spiked."

"Teenagers," Wednesday rolled her eyes and scoffed. She took another sip.

"It's pretty strong, Wednesday. We probably shouldn't be drinking this."

"What's a high school dance without a little rebellion?" She threw the glass back as she drank the rest like a shot. As she set the cup back down on the table, she grabbed Tyler's wrist.

"This is my favorite song," she said, pulling him back to the dance floor. Tyler drank the rest of his punch as well and followed the girl back into the throng of students.