Crumby Boss to Hot Chocolate

Clarissa was working on the computer screen at the office. She was an accountant for the company and love her job until three years ago. The son of the founder had taken over and it was a shitstorm ever since. The expense report looked like a spoiled rich kid's dream with exotica trips and fancy shopping sprees.

Moral was low. No one wanted to be there, just had to be. Clarissa toyed with the idea of leaving. She was being head hunted for another company before. She only stayed for the insurance for when her husband got sick. Now, she was just afraid of not having a livable income.

She looked at apartments on her break, trying to find one that was still in Diana's school zone. Not many to choose from. Clarissa had a small list to call about after work. The boss hated for people to use company time for personal things even though he never seen to anything but personal things in his office.

Clarissa's cellphone vibrated. Checking to see if it was the school, she was shocked to see it was the bank.

"Hello." She answered, speaking softly. To get on the boss's good side, people would snitch on others to make themselves look better. Clarissa always kept shit to herself. Everyone is fighting a battle, that she what she always told herself.

"Hello Ms. Dare. This is Persons, the loan officer you met with on Friday. I have wonderful news. An anonymous donation came through and paid your mortgage off in full." The loan officer relayed the message, trying to keep the fear out of their voice. The demon instructed them to call the people on Monday to inform them of the paid off. They were doing what they were told to keep the demon from coming back.

"Oh, my! This is wonderful! Thank you, thank you so much!" Clarissa cried out, not caring who heard her. The weight was lifted off her shoulders. She wanted to weep happy tears. She did not have to tell Diana any more bad news. The season just got brighter.

Clarissa thanked them again and ended the call. She was smiling. It did not dim when Mr. Wilson walked to her desk.

"Now, what have I said about personal cellphone use?" He mused, trying to be funny. He was texting on his phone that very moment he was scolding her like a child.

"That was a very important call for my family, and I had to take it." She replied while looking back at the screen. He smiled, trying to look appealing to her. Since he took over the company, he had single handedly made the HR department exploded with complains and accusations. Unfortunately, many were swept under the rug or people were let go due to lame, yet documented reasons. Palms were being grease.

"That is good news. Now do you want more good news?" He asked. When she did not look from the computer screen, he added that it was about their Christmas bonus.

"Of course. We all have been waiting for news about the bonus. The company has done well this year, and we were promised that we would all be rewarded." Clarissa said. He smiled at her, his glaze making her feel uncomfortable.

"It will be soon enough. I hope you all will be happy with the reward." He spoke. "On a personal note, how are you? I know it must be tough since this is the first Christmas without Roger."

"Richard. Thank you for asking. It has been an experience so far. I don't know what Christmas day will be like, but I have Diana and that is all that matters to me." Clarissa remarked while thinking how she still had her home too.

"Have you thought about starting to see new people in the new year?" Mr. Wilson asked. She found that question too personal. Oddly, her mind went to Malakai. During the weekend, Diana and she saw him at the park. Diana hit it off well with him, calling him Mike. He seemed to like the attention, answering every question she had. Fast friends are what they were becoming.

"Um, no. I need to focus on Diana right now." Clarissa uttered, setting her mind back to work.

"Well, if you ever change your mind..." Mr. Wilson let the words trail off with a cheesy smile. Clarissa fought the reaction of cringing at him. He left her alone. Clarissa wondered if she should go to HR. She knew they were swamped now. She would have coffee with one of the ladies up there sometimes. That woman loved to gossip.

That and she did not want to get swept under the rug or worse. She had to take a lot of time off when her husband died. That was something she feared would be hung over her head. She sighed and focused on work. Maybe since she was not going to lose the house, she could dust off her resume and put out some feelers.

Later that day...

"Fancy see you two out here again." Malakai called cheerfully, as Clarissa and Diana were walking to the Christmas displays. Diana loved to see them, and Clarissa knew it was one way to exercise all the energy the little girl had out before dinner and bed.

"Mike, will you walk with us?" Diana asked happily, taking his hand. She knew he was Santa's helper in a disgust. Diana liked both looks on him.

"Of course, my little lady." He replied while smiling. He looked at Clarissa and gave her a smile too. The three walked about, looking at the lights and scenery made of lumber and nails. A bit more as added each day. It was a game the mother and daughter played to notice the additions first.

"I peg you for a Halloween guy, not a Christmas fanatic." Clarissa told Malakai as he was able to pick out a few more add-ons than Clarissa.

"I love Halloween. That is when I can really be myself." Malakai shrugged, grinning. He did love not hiding himself and walking the streets without a care in the world. "It is all the lights and colors that I like about this holiday. Even in the coldest day, there is a bit of cheer."

Clarissa looked at him. He was wearing black on black with his leather jacket and boots. Looking every bit of a romance cover bad boy. Yet, his eyes were dancing in the Christmas lights. She did not know who was enjoying themselves more, him or Diana.

"Mommy came home happy from work." Diana beamed, as Clarissa went and got hot chocolate from the group.

"Maybe she got some good news." Malakai suggested while watching her walked back with the drinks in a tray. He could tell her mood was happy and there was not such a weigh on her shoulders. Diana saw a friend from school and ran off with her drink in hand.

"An anonymous donation paid my mortgage off. I won't be losing my house." She told Malakai as Diana played with her friend around the display.

"That is great. It will be a great Christmas for the two of you." Malakai smiled.

"What about you? How are you spending the holidays?" Clarissa asked. She was curious about her new friend.

"I spend them alone. I didn't know my dad and mom left me when I was young. I handle it by myself well." Malakai replied. Saying it out loud made it hurt more than usual. Damn holiday always got to him.

"That is awful." Clarissa placed her hand in his arm, to comfort him. He heard the sincerity in her voice and knew she was being genuinely concern for him.

"I'm used to it." He shrugged.

"Look." Clarissa said, turning her head away, not believing what she was about to say. "We have a few holiday traditions. Nothing elaborated. I would like it if you joined us if you want. No one should be alone for the holidays."

"I would love to." Malakai replied, stepping a bit closer to Clarissa. "Begs the questions, what about next year." He was being funny, he thought. He smiled and looked away. He hoped it did not creep her out.

"Stick around and have out." Clarissa mused, smirking. She blushed when she realized that she was flirting with him.