Chapter 7 - Conjure

Conjure looked at the two figures. One was laughing, and the other seemed to be set-back and quiet. With a shocked and quiet gasp, she recognized them—her dream. She remembered that dream—the dream that she'd forgotten, that was so sad that she woke up crying. The dream that she had had two or three days ago, she wasn't sure how many days now—and they were dying. Die, dying, dead—they reached out to her, trying to beg for help...and Conjure only stood, watching them, as they screamed her name...she gave them a horrified expression as Max took a defensive stance.

Terrified, she tried to cover up her trembling legs, trying not to show weakness, but it was more difficult than she had expected. She didn't want to seem weak in front of her sister, who had been extremely reflexive toward danger and had quickly taken out her blades. But Conjure somehow knew that they weren't bad; she wasn't sure if they were good, but she knew they weren't bad.

She took a deep breath and looked back at Paranoia, who gave her a knowing look. She had also somehow known she had had the dream. Then again, she was Paranoia; that didn't necessarily surprise her.

Conjure looked up at her, trying to not think about the two and smiled softly. I can't believe you were my first friewait. No, I had Max before her—I can't believe we even get along at all. I'm so lucky, Conjure grinned and felt herself stand a little straighter.

And then, to her surprise, Max muttered, "Dayumm, he's hot..."

***

"Max!?" Conjure yelled as Roxy pulled away from Max, who lay unconscious on the ground. Aamaya had stamped the fire out, and Conjure couldn't see anything. The book had shattered, and in its place was a boy, who looked very bewildered and confused.

Paranoia, for some reason, had stopped Conjure from trying to help. Conjure wiggled away from Paranoia, racing to Max's side, lightly squeezing past Roxy, who scoffed to himself, muttering, "I just saved her life, could you be a little more grateful?"

Conjure looked at him in surprise. "Her life!?" She hissed, her protective tone surprising herself.

Paranoia walked up to her and squatted next to Conjure, resting her chin on Conjure's shoulder. "There was a reason why I held you so tight, and why I didn't let you go to her..." She said softly. "Roxy. Do you mind doing the honors?"

Roxy rolled his eyes. "More like, 'do it for my girlfriend or I'll melt you,' but fine."

"G-g-g-g-girlf—" Conjure stuttered, flushing red. "I'm not int—interested in—dating—" she cut herself off and tried to get serious. "Anyways, what d-did you mean by that?"

Roxy tilted his head. "Are you dumb? I mean, obviously Paranoia is clingy to you, so anyone would come to that assumption, you know?" he shrugged. "And besides, I'm okay with it. I mean, if it was the girl that I just saved maybe not—"

"I MEANT THE SAVING-MAX'S-LIFE-THING, not the other...thing..." Conjure said, narrowing her eyes. "Stop fooling around, Roxy."

Jynx laughed drily behind them, his bandage wrapped around his head again. "Roxy. Seriously, we need to hurry this up, there are incoming issues coming this way..."

Roxy looked at him and they seemed to communicate without words, as Roxy nodded after a few seconds. "Max was holding on to a relic of white magic. However, one spell in particular was based around dark magic—a binding spell, which is composed of dark magic elements to bind anything to the depths of the book. If she had held on to it, there would have been a chance that the dark magic would've been unleashed as she kept using the magic within the book. The dark magic was starting to take over the light magic...we were lucky this time—by destroying the book, we saved that from happening. Although," Roxy paused. "It looks like it didn't quite save her completely." He looked closely at her arm, which seemed to be black like Paranoia before she transformed into her humanoid form. "It'll take a few days to completely heal and become a part of her that isn't painful, like what happened to Jynx, but that's alright. She just needs rest."