Prologue

Jynx grinned up at his mother, squeezing her hand tightly. His ears pricked, his tight clothes almost a sign of security; it meant that he was free! Free to live with his mother, who loved him just as much as he loved her.

He was happy!

But then... all of that was dug and buried several feet in the ground. The black smoke filled the air, the fires were thick, and the screams were terrible. Jynx was in the field with his mother pulling corn, and so were his 4 friends—Ink, Iggy, Wyrm, and Quiche. They gripped onto their mothers, staring terrified at each other.

Jynx's mother ushered everyone there toward a nearby tool shed, and shut all the drapes. Jynx trembled in fear, the tears dripping down his cheeks, and all of a sudden, he realized—as a demihuman, he was not free.

Everything, everything he loved—it was all in danger just because of their race. Jynx was furious, but couldn't do anything; he was a powerless 6 year old.

***

The screams hurt Jynx's ears. His mother hugged him tight, and his father went to scout out what the noises were. Jynx trembled, suddenly realizing just how powerless and how not free he was.

"What..." Jynx looked out the window, but couldn't see anything but smoke. He could feel how hard his mother was trembling, and he knew that this was not a joke. He was about to die—why, though, he wasn't entirely sure. He felt so confused; but also betrayed. He wasn't sure why he felt that way, but it was strong under the strong feeling of fear and distrust.

"Mom...what's going on..." Jynx whispered under his breath. "I'm scared..." He looked up at his mother, sniffling, eyes wide in terror.

His mother's face was grim, her ears pressed to the back of her head, trembling. "It's okay...it's okay..."

"Mom, I'm...I'm scared...! Tell me... what's happeni—"

Footsteps approached, rattling the shabby windows of the shed. His mother crouched, taking out a wrapped gift from behind the desk by the window, setting it on Jynx's lap. "Happy early birthday, my dear son. If I don't return...No, if I am taken away, keep this. And to answer your question...the Mages, who gave us food for so long...have raided. But I will stop them. So don't be afraid, I love you."

Quiche and Wyrm's mother nodded in agreement. "I should go too." She kissed their foreheads, and slowly walked to Jynx's mom, muttering to her about something.

Iggy and Ink's mother looked away at first, but changed her mind quickly, and also feeling the need to go, she followed them. Why...why are you leaving us...

They slowly stalked out of the door, leaving it slightly open on accident. Jynx peeked out through the crack in the door, and his friends followed close behind him. He could see the mothers yelling at a group of 5 unfamiliar beings; they had pale skin, weird-looking monkey ears, and no tails!? They wore purple and white cloaks, and big books with weird characters and symbols in gold yarn.

Jynx's mouth opened and closed. He was confused; what was this being? Were these beings the so-called mages? If so, Jynx would destroy them.

Ink's mother jumped up, and also yelled something, hatred painted her face. And then...

The "mages" said something to each other, before one with a long black ponytail stepped forward, and outstretched his arm. He looked at his giant book, and made a weird hand movement; a diamond and then a line like a plus in between. It glowed like blue flame, before he made a movement like shoving it toward their mothers with his pointer and middle finger.

The mothers exploded. Blood shot so far that it made a splatting sound as it hit Jynx's cheeks. His mother exploded into lumps of blood and flesh, completely obliterated. Jynx screamed, scrambling backward. Iggy started to retch, while Ink stared at his mother, who had exploded just like Jynx's mother had. Quiche gripped onto Jynx, starting to sob. "Mommy..."