Chapter 5 - Conjure

"Okay," Conjure sniffed. "How do you do this?!"

Paranoia laughed. "Just do everything I tell you to do. This hat," she touched the fabric softly, "is what's going to help you there."

Conjure nodded confidently. "Okay!" She was exhausted from all the crying she had done, but it was a relieving kind of crying. Like she had finally gotten what she needed after so many years. She looked up at Paranoia. "Okay, what first, Boss?"

Paranoia crossed her arms. "Alright. I am going to need you to close your eyes. That's it. Alright. Next, put your hands out in front of you and make sure that you are focusing on the feeling of the mana on your fingertips. That's it. Focus on the feeling of your breathing, the feeling of your heart pumping. Then, whisper, with your eyes still closed, 'Familiarization Novice—mana usage:" Paranoia stopped with a smile. "The rest your body should do on its own."

Conjure did as she was told. A feeling of heat was in her fingertips as they drew in the air, drawing a heart and a cross through it. It flared purple, shooting at Max and Aamaya, who had been standing with each other. Then, coming out of her mouth even though she didn't say anything, she said, "Mana usage: 50 out of 200,000."

Max paused for a second. ".... What?"

Paranoia did too, halting in her tracks. "How much mana did you say?"

Conjure blinked. "What do you mean? It just came out; I don't exactly know offhand..."

Max and Paranoia exchanged glances, that seemed to say something. But before they could say anything outside of their look, Aamaya began to morph and bubble strangely. Her two horns moved upward, making room for a third. Her fur turned into a forest green, her eyes black as obsidian. Dark green wings sprouted up from her back, and two golden stars were on her forehead now as she glanced over at Max. "Hello. My name is...Aamaya."

Max squealed, racing over to Aamaya, hugging her tight. "You look so cool!"

Paranoia crossed her arms. "Yup, all creatures that can be Familiarized often get enhanced magic, turning them into a creature that can withstand the power. So now it's a Treycorn, the enhanced Mana version of a Donicorn. A Donicorn started out as a unicorn, so now it's at its third level of mana."

"That sounds...complicated."

Conjure laughed softly. She looked up at the red sky and crossed her arms as well, but only because her hands felt like they were going to fall off. The magic felt sticky, and it seemed to stick to her fingers. It felt weird and unfamiliar—like when her eyes had been enhanced when Max and Conjure had first found the Lore of Magicka book.

"It is, to newcomers. But you'll get used to it. Aamillet are an example of this. They eat negativity and the more negativity they eat, the bigger they become, so they can consume more negativity."

Conjure's eyes glowed brightly, as she intertwined her fingers together in excitement. "They sound so cool! What do they look like!?"

Paranoia sighed softly, a smile slowly crawling onto her face. Her form fell flat in a puddle of darkness. She slowly built upon herself, making a cat-like creature in her place. It was purple still, and its eyes were still black, but it gave Conjure a good idea on what it would look like. It was about the size of a kitten, with two big eyes and fluffy fur—just like a typical cat from Earth.

"This is its just-born form, before it really starts to understand what negativity does, or how much it needs it."

She collapsed again before rebuilding itself. It was slightly bigger. It grew another tail, and a third eye on its forehead, and a small silver horn grew on its forehead. Paranoia quickly collapsed into her "human" form. "But those are the only two forms I've really seen, I'm not entirely sure they have another form. I bet they have another form, though."