II : Heirs of the Dragon

IT IS NOW THE NINTH YEAR OF KING VISERYS I TARGARYEN'S REIGN.
172 YEARS BEFORE THE DEATH OF THE MAD KING. AERYS, AND THE BIRTH OF HIS DAUGHTER, PRINCESS DAENERYS TARGARYEN.

...

Aerys

"Welcome back, Princesses. I trust both your rides were pleasant," Ser Harrold Westerling greets the two Princesses as they dismounted from their dragons.

"Try not to look too relieved, Ser," Rhaenyra said cheekily as they walked past him towards the wheelhouse.

"Don't mind her, Ser Harrold. I'm glad someone does worry about us," Aerys adds in turn. Giving her sister a nudge on the elbow.

"I am relieved. Every time the Bronze Fury and that golden beast brings you both back unspoiled, it saves my head from a spike,"
He chuckles in relief as he follows them from behind.

"Syrax is growing quickly. She'll soon be as large as Caraxes," Alicent claims while looking at the young dragon.

"That's almost large enough to saddle two," Rhaenyra replies while grinning suggestively.

"You really need to stop trying to get her to ride Syrax with you, Nyra. If Alicent was interested, she'd probably join us already riding alongside Vermithor and I," Aerys chuckles.

"Aerys is correct. I believe I'm quite content as a spectator, thank you," Alicent says while laughing awkwardly.

"Well, I'm not giving up just yet," The elder Princess says smugly as they walked into the wheelhouse.

...

Rhaenyra

"Ah... Rhaenyra," Her mother greets her as she entered the room with Aerys and Alicent following behind.

"Aerys," Aemma said, greeting her youngest daughter as well.

"Hello mother," Aerys greets her back formally.

"You know I don't like you both to go flying while I'm in this condition," She scolds her two daughters as she laid on her daybed, heavily pregnant with their unborn sibling.

"You don't like us to go flying while you're in any condition," Rhaenyra retorts, rolling her eyes.

"Your Grace," Alicent greets the Queen in turn.

"Good morrow, Alicent," Queen Aemma smiles.

"Did you sleep?" Rhaenyra asks her mother concernedly as she took a seat in front of her mother's daybed.

"I slept," Her mother answered vaguely, much to her dismay.

"How long?" Her younger sister chimed in.

"I don't need mothering, girls," The queen argued lightly.

"Well, here you are, surrounded by attendants, all focused on the babe," The Princess argued back.

"Someone has to attend to you," Aerys adds, placing her hand on her mother's shoulder.

"You will lie in this bed soon enough, Rhaenyra," Queen Aemma reminded her.

"This discomfort is how we serve the realm," She adds as they locked eyes with one another.

"I'd rather serve as a knight and ride to battle and glory," Rhaenyra jests, causing her mother and Alicent to chuckle in response. Meanwhile Aerys just stood there with a look of discomfort.

"As for you, Aerys. You will make a great wife and sire one day," Her mother says before placing a soft kiss on her sister's hand.

Aerys did not respond, but Rhaenyra took notice of the blush that crept up her sister's cheeks. She instead gave their mother a shy nod.