V: Aerys and Alicent

101 AC, 11 Summers Prior

Aerys

"Where are we headed today, grandfather?" The Princeling of 3 asked his great grandsire with genuine curiosity while climbing into the wheelhouse.

"We are going to the Dragonpit," The Old King answered stoically as he joined his great grandson.

"The Dragonpit?!" Aerys exclaimed excitedly.

"Yes, the Dragonpit" King Jaehaerys confirmed.

"Why are we going to the Dragonpit? Muña said I am not old enough to be near the dragons yet," The little Targaryen Prince questioned with concern.

The Prince Aerys had a very close relationship with his mother the Princess Aemma. Unlike his sister he did not like to make her worry.

"If you're worried about your mother's approval, do not fret. She's given me her permission to take you there. All she asks is that you stay beside me at all times," His great grandsire assured him as the wheelhouse started moving.

"Alright. So why are you taking me to the Dragonpit?" The boy asks curiously.

"I have a few things I wanted to teach you regarding the dragons," The King answered calmly.

"Shouldn't Rhaenyra be joining us then?" Aerys voiced out, remembering her sister's obsession with the creatures.

"Another time, I am told she has lessons with the Septa today," Jaehaerys chuckles at the thought of his great granddaughter.

"Poor, Nyra," The young Prince frowned. Knowing how much she disliked her lessons with the Septa.

The journey to the Dragonpit was short and swift. Upon their arrival the King had the keepers bring his mount, Vermithor out from the caverns below while he waited inside the pit with Aerys.

"The Targaryens have been Dragonriders since our days in Old Valyria, and every Targaryen King has been a Dragonrider since the Conqueror was crowned," The Old King tells his great grandson as they walked towards the stands.

"Father says my egg did not hatch. Does that mean I cannot become the King?" Aerys replied in a sad tone.

"You are only 3 namedays old, sweet Princeling. It will be a very long time before you have to assume your duties as King, and when that time comes I am sure you will already be a mighty Dragonrider," Jaehaerys chuckled with pride as he ruffled the young Prince's hair.

Before Aerys could utter a reply suddenly the floor of the pit shook, and several Dragonkeepers rushed out of the caverns with Vermithor following behind them. The Bronze Fury let out a cheerful song when he saw that his rider was nearby.

"Rytsas, Vermithor," (Hello, Vermithor,) The Old King greeted his mount as he slowly approached him

Vermithor roared back a hello in response.