Letter 11: Thanksgiving

Dear you,

There was something in the air. I promise that. A protection of warmth and coziness, I would define as love.

I am aware that I grew up privileged, having two loving parents and siblings who, at most times, were my friends. I look back at memories of my childhood, and I get to smile. I get to hope that one day I will recreate similar times for my own children.

Growing up, Thanksgiving mornings began with waking up on the den floor after spending the night sleeping on piles of blankets that created one massive bed for me and my siblings. Wood would then be added to the fireplace (one year, when I was older, a spark burnt a hole through my perfectly good robe) and then the tv would be turned on to watch the Thanksgiving parade.

My mother grew up watching the parade in her house, so, even though my parents didn't allow cable TV, when the holidays came around, and the winter nights started too early, we were treated to TV time as part of family time.

As kids, none of us cared for the parade; however, we were able to turn the TV on first thing in the morning because of it. So, we'd patiently wait for a commercial or for our mother to step away, and we'd switch the channel to shows and movies we liked. One year, I convinced my siblings to watch a Barbie movie. Well, I don't know if I convinced them so much as I had the clicker (remote) in my hand. And we couldn't argue about my decision, or we'd draw attention to the fact we weren't watching the parade.

Thanksgiving Day, we'd play outside. I don't know if there was a day we didn't go outside and play for hours. We were kids who were always outside; it didn't matter the weather. Unless it was raining, then our parents didn't want us out for obvious reasons, but when I think of my childhood, I think of running around outside. Climbing trees. Riding bikes. Running across our creek out back.

In preparation for Thanksgiving, my siblings and I would compete with each other as to who could collect the most firewood. I mentioned in one of my previous letters to you, I believe it was my fourth one, that I was a very competitive child and that, one year, I found a small tree that had fallen and dragged it across our creek and back home.

We had our meals most years at my aunt's and uncle's house. I am not a fan of turkey and you couldn't force me to eat pie, but I loved the gatherings. But I also loved going back home where our massive blanket bed awaited our return, and we'd all fall asleep watching a movie.

This year couldn't compete with my childhood memories, but it was nice and it was now. Without comparing this year's holiday to my magical childhood, I would say I had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my family. Next year, I hope I have another beautiful one, unique to that year.

If you celebrate Thanksgiving, I do hope it was wonderful. If you don't, I hope your day was just as good.

Yours Truly,

RCG