Fox In A Hole

The Bering Sea was a hole that loved to swallow anything up that didn't expect it.

And now the Northwestern had a Fox onboard, was like having a fish in water. Since fixes had their holes, and Jake Hansen resembled a fox, it seemed natural for the youngest Hansen sibling to be on the boat.

Fox had quickly gotten his sea legs, and it seemed like a built-in instinct to tilt his head down when spray came over the rail, or when a wave pooled over the rail, to bend his lanky legs and brace for impact.

Fox loved the water as much as Edgar loved fire.

Fox had his moments like Edgar had his.

The two times Edgar had set himself on fire on the Northwestern, Fox had either drenched himself or slipped in a puddle.

And it was mostly when Edgar or/and Norman wouldn't allow the youngest Hansen to have a coffee. And Fox would freak out, and in his exhaustion, he'd slip into a wet patch inside the boat when it rolled.

The reason the older three Hansens often didn't let Fox have coffee was that he'd drink a lot of it, any time he drank it. They have no idea why, but they had to tie the lankiest Hansen up because he was going berserk from lack of sleep.

Tied to the breakfast table, duck tape covering his mouth, hands and feet tied with rope, and a very tired, sleep-deprived, AND angry Jake Hansen.

It was often Sig that would sit, down in the galley and just be with Fox, even if he was tied up because if he wasn't all the coffee would be gone in an instant. Sig would stay there until Fox's body couldn't stay awake any longer, and passed out.

Sig would be relieved, 1, because the coffee was still there, and 2, Fox was finally sleeping away his tiredness, even through a short nap.

Fox never found it easy to fall asleep on a boat, on the Bering Sea. When the boat rolled. Sounds, creaking, the boat's hull howling. It caused flashbacks. To his first ever day on the boat. On the trip from Seattle to Dutch.

The boat hit a deep ditch from an unusually large wave, and when they came over the wave after that, the boat listed sideways, throwing Fox out of his bunk. His lanky body did not have enough weight to keep him grounded in his bunk.

He'd broken a collar bone, and three ribs and dislocated his shoulder. And he couldn't call for help, the one time he wished his voice was louder. He sat there until Jake Anderson had woken up for his wheel watch when Fox was discovered, shivering, crying, on the floor of their room.

Ever since he refused to sleep, not wanting to feel that much pain, ever again, when it was fixable. He'd often sit in the wheelhouse "resting his eyes" in the co-Captains chair. In all reality, he was grounding himself. So he didn't fly when the boat rolled unexpectedly.

Fox in a hole, like the coffee, is drained by Fox.