Chapter 10: to Walk, then too run.

After I moved the mattress I fell asleep, with a lightness I didn't have before. Romulus knew and understood what i was and i was exhausted to say the least. The women or warden as we now referred to her did not come back as sundown approached, and the fleeting orange sunbeams leaked through the chamber, the gentle warmness that flooded my cell coaxed me to sleep

For once I did not dream. The sleep was fleeting  it felt as though I blinked and it was over. I woke to the sound of a metal cart and two pairs of footsteps approaching. They approached me first opening the gate. The man proceeded to summon the blue restraints pining me flat of the bed.

The warden strolled in and placed a wooden breakfast tray next to me.

Maybe it was my dark sense of humor, but i chuckled.

"Well good morning to you to! " I said sarcastically. 

She ignored me, inspected my icmals and nose and scribbled some notes on a pad of paper. The little man proceed with the injection. The pain made my vision blurry, but I could tell from the loud muffled screaming that Romulus also got a dose.

When they left the screams of the two of us filled the silence. But my pain was slowly subsiding enough for me to sit up and gain my bearings. I  was cold and sweaty while Romulus still writhed around the floor in pain. I had to turn away, I couldn't bear the blood curdling screams. It was an hour before he stopped, and the effects subsided.

His breath was still labored as he lay on the concrete. I felt fine, the effects of the serum had soon since worn off. I grabbed the cup of water on my breakfast tray and scooted towards the bars that separated us.

He was sweaty and pale and could not stop shaking.

"Move towards me" I instructed and he listened scooting his body in limp movements towards  me. The bars were rather wide between grates allowing both my hands and the cup to fit through comfortably. I lifted his chin slightly with my hand placing my elbows on the cold concrete floor. I ignored myself spilling out of my slip and slowly poured the water onto his lips and slowly let it trickle into his mouth. He swallowed hard .

"Hell be fine in a half hour, that water helps"

I jumped to my feet and turned towards the voice that spoke. Sitting on my bed was a girl no older than 12. She had chestnut hair ,dark black eyes and freckles that littered her cheeks. She wore a ratty dress that was- old fashioned , maybe something my grandmother would have worn when she was a child, her face was as pale as snow. The same mist that was on fluffers surrounded her skin, radiating a  coldness  that made my skin tingle.

"Aar-e you a-?"

"Ghost? Spirt? Entity , all of the above!" She said, her mouth growing into a jovial smile. Romulus turned to his side to look at me

"Who are you talking to?" He said

"He can't see me yet" the girl started " He's not strong enough, but it' looks like you are, he's kinda moody anyway" she giggled

I sat in front of her ignoring Romulus's confusion.

"I'm sorry I'm new to this" I said "I'm Anna"

"I'm Sara, nice to meet you Anna"

"H-how old are you Sarah" I said staring at the outdated dress she wore. It had bows and a high neckline that showed very little skin. More conservative and modest from a different time.

"Well, techniqly eleven and a half , but I think you mean something else. I'm one hundred and ten years trapped."

"Hm you don't look a day over eighty" Ijoked rewarding me with a smile despite her sad eyes. "I just turned twenty one a month ago"