5 AM

My answer came in the form of silence. I hesitated to open my eyes, but I was also glad to not feel anything in my mouth. I blinked a couple of times and realized that I am in the 'Parts and service' section of the building. Sitting on the table where just a couple of hours ago I was talking with Freddy, pretending to be someone I knew a long time ago. The room was well lit and gone was the mess of animatronic parts and suits. The shelves were empty, showing me naked bricks. In front of me, just over the door was a mechanical clock.

— Why? — I heard my own voice, attacking me like an echo and yet not distorted. It was clear, just as if I said it myself. The clock's hand moved forward for a minute.

— Why? — Echo repeated the question, moving the clock forward once more.

A couple of seconds later I entered the dining area. Time seemed to slow down when I was moving, but it rushed forward the moment I stopped, because during those couple of seconds I heard my own voice eight more times. But since I stood up, the voice was silent.

The dining area was drowning in darkness, obscuring the twisted mess crawling on the floor, decaying humans reaching out and pulling their bloated corpses, making a clearly hearable noise. On shaky legs I got closer to the stage.

The lights blinked.

I was sitting in a chair, looking at a closed curtain. Sudden noise to my right made me look that way. It was some woman in a red dress, with a dried flower in her thin hair staring at me. — Why? — She whispered as if through me and slowly looked back at the stage. — Why? — Repeated someone in the sea of corpses behind me.

I felt like I was about to vomit. The smell of decay and the knowledge that I was surrounded by hundreds of dead people leading me to the edge of my own sanity. I covered up my mouth. — It's starting. — I heard dozens of voices, each somewhat unique failing to say it exactly at the same time. — Why is it starting?

The curtain started to stretch and melt, soon it tore up and disappeared into the air like an old corpse, crumbling in the hands of a discoverer, revealing the stage, which was upside down, and a little cat standing on it. It looked up at us, at the rows of chairs standing on the ceiling. — Why? — It asked me in my own voice, and soon it too crumbled, leaving nothing but a wet stain.

In its place came a tall woman, wearing a beautiful green and white suit with thick red hair flowing down her back. She looked at me. My mom. I wanted to scream, call out to her but all I could do was stare. And she stared back, with a look in her eyes that she used for when I've done something bad as a kid. Seeming slightly disappointed, but never angry. — Why? — She asked in a quiet voice. My voice.

Soon she lowered her head and waited. A couple of the viewers stood up and started clapping as if after a touching show in a theater. But soon they stopped, breaking away from the ceiling and plummeting up, towards the ground. Three silhouettes: Bonnie, Chica, Foxy. Slowly they stood up and marched towards the woman and from the darkness came out more and more creatures, joining the grim reapers in a morbid dance of twisted faces and limbs. They surrounded my mother, who disappeared into the crowd. Not looking at me. Disappointed.

I screamed when she was gone, with tears streaming up my face and higher till splattering on the floor above me. I couldn't take my eyes away from the terrifying spectacle even though I really wanted to. But soon from the twisted forest of bodies a little girl appeared. She couldn't have been older than eleven. In a blue dress, white as a wall, without any signs of decay, she looked like a porcelain doll, with her beautiful green eyes looking up at me.

— Why? — She simply asked, while my chair started to slowly get lower. She was repeating my words time and time again, while the bodies around her reacted to her soft voice by dancing a twisted dance, whirling and pulsing with undead life, just like some bloated single organism. Suddenly all the bodies stopped and fell to the ground, decaying, turning to bones and ash. — Only a quarter left.