Prologue 7

"*pant* *pant*. . . Well?" Crowley returned to his original form.

Grim collapsed on the ground, and Evadne picked him up and held him as she began using magic to replenish his energy. Crowley on the other hand . . . 

"Incredible... I've never seen anyone bend a monster to their will quite the way you have. I must confess, my educator's intuition did sense something about you after the brouhaha at orientation, miss Scarlet. I could tell you had a certain animal trainer-y, beast master-ish quality to you. Oh, yes. That said, I. . . *mumble mumble*" The last of Crowley's sentence when inaudible. 

"Hmm, well . . ." Evadne hesitated, unsure if her next course of action would do her any good (most definitely not), "Since I can train beasts, can Grim stay with me?"

"What? Let that monster live here!?" Crowley freaked out. 

"Well, I can make him useful." Evadne put on the puppy-dog eyes, and Crowley sighed.

"Alright, if it can't be helped." Grim did a little hooray dance as Evadne's face lightened up, "However, I cannot let someone, let alone a monster, into the school who wasn't selected by the dark mirror."

"Hrmph. Never shoulda got my hopes up . . ." Grim crossed his arms.

"It was the Dark Mirror that transported you here. Therefore this school does bear some responsibility for your well-being. So I will allow you to remain in this dorm, free of charge." Crowley explained. 

"However, you will need to pay for your own food, clothing, and incidentals. As to how you will do so, penniless as you are... Ah. Ah ha. Yes, a fine plan." Crowley smirked.

"What?" Evadne inquired.

"You needn't seem so alarmed. I'm simply going to ask you to do a few odd jobs around campus. From what you've done here, miss Scarlet, I can tell you know your way around a broom. So what do you say to you two working together as a janitorial team? If you agree to that, I will make a special exception and allow you to remain on campus."

"Um, no—"

"I'll also allow you use of the library, so that you may study, and research ways to return home. How soundlessly charitable I am. Ah, but only when your work is over, of course!" Crowley proudly announced, and an irk mark appeared on her face. This man could be so full of himself sometimes.

'But all those books . . .'

"Fine, but on one condition—"

"You're going to make the decision for me!?" Grim exclaimed.

"Yes, now shut up. I am not a janitor, and I am able to take as many books from the library as I want and bring them all back by a due date like the students. Not to mention a weekly allowance." Evadne bargained.

"The rest I can do, but what are you going to do if you're not a janitor?" Crowley asked.

"Hmm, is there a hospital wing anywhere?"

"Alright, we'll, can you heal people?"

"Yes I very much can." 

"Then you can be the school nurse. Besides, the ghosts running the place are getting tired anyways." 

"Whaaat? What kinda deal is that?! I wanna put on one of those sweet uniforms and be a student, not sweep up people's junk! Besides, she made the decision by herself and you didn't ask me!"

"If you're not satisfied with my offer, I can arrange to have you thrown out again." Crowley responded blatantly, and Grim was taken aback.

"Myah?! . . . All right, fine! Let's do it." Grim crossed his arms and pouted, while Evadne just deadpanned him.

"Wonderful. Then I beseech you both . . .To work hard as the newest members of the Night Raven College's janitorial and health staff!"