Fake Smile

TWO WEEKS LATER

Kristy woke up to the moonlight filling her eyes. She had her window open to let the night air fill her room. She felt better about everything that she had been through that night-the night of the party. Kristy sat up on her bed, her new bed.

She moved away from her past life. Her old life. Carol has tried to get in contact with her. Tried to call her time and time again.

Probably trying to ask her why she killed Andrew even though she knew exactly why she did it. Kristy didn't care anymore. She had a new life, new house, and a new future. Nothing to hold her back... except for herself.

She walked over to a window and looked at her surroundings.

She wished she could erase her mind. Take back everything she did that night-everything they did to her. She saw a man walking a dog, she smiled. There were trees all around the apartments. She wanted to pick a secluded place, and it worked. This place would help erase her past, just like she wanted.

"Hey, how's it going? With this new... life you've made for yourself. Ha! Life, I wouldn't call this a life but okay. Whatever." It was that girl-the girl who claimed to be a part of her.

Kristy still hadn't entirely figured that out yet, she didn't care about that anymore either.

"Get out please. You're nothing to me anymore." Kristy held up her hand as if to block her. "You don't scare me. You can't do anything to me. You are nothing. Please just-just leave me alone."

"I'll never leave you alone. Never, you and me we are best friends forever. I mean it-forever. You will never get rid of me... wait... unless you do one final thing for me. Then I'll leave. You'll never have to see, listen, or smell me again. Does that sound fair to you? Because, it does to me," she said, nodding, with a smile.

"Okay, anything... just leave me alone. Tell me what I have to do and I'll do it."

"You have to kill-Carol and Layla. Kill them, and make sure you kill them right. Please." She looked pleadingly at Kristy.

"Okay, I will. Anything to make you leave me alone!"

. . .

Layla was all alone in her house. When she came home that night-three weeks ago, she found her mother's dead body. Some people had broken in and killed her mother. They took a lot of stuff. A lot of valuable things.

She was sitting on her bed watching TV, though, not really watching it. She could barely see the screen because of the tears in her eyes. Layla turned the TV off with her remote. Then, she got up off her bed. She wanted something to drink. She walked out of her room and down the hall to the kitchen. It was really dark in the kitchen. Layla flipped the light switch on.

That's when she saw her-Kristy standing there in the middle of the room. Kristy was smiling a normal smile.

"Kristy, you scared the hell out of me." Layla laughed.

"You didn't scream, you barely even look shocked."

"Well, my mom just died, recently. I don't know if you heard about it. I haven't been able to do much of anything... except cry. Where have you been? Carol has been trying to call you for-since the party."

"Well, I've been busy. I have a new house. It's just a little place. Kind of like an apartment but bigger. It's cool and all but yeah, you know. Moving away is always hard to do."

"Yeah, and now... here you are. Why?" Layla asked.

"I'm just here to take care of a few things. I visited my dad."