The Truth

My hands were trembling as I thought of the implications of what Akriti said. If R&AW knew who I was, then I couldn't imagine what would

My hands were trembling as I thought of the implications of what Akriti said. If R&AW knew who I was, I couldn't imagine what would

happen to me once they caught me, And what would they do to our parents? Especially if they thought I was operating Some terrorist organisation!

But more questions needed answers.

"Wait, wait, wait," Rohit blurted, "Since when are you in R&AW ?"

"I was recruited four years ago."

"When you were 11 years old ?" I asked.

Akriti smiled, looked at the ground, and slowly looked at us again. Then she turned her gaze to the left and back. She stared at us again for a few seconds and finally opened her mouth to say something...but closed it again.

"What is it Akriti ?" Rohit said, annoyed.

"Whatever you have to say, just say it," I said.

Akriti clenched her fists and looked down while speaking, "I am actually 23 years old right now...that's why I have a driver's licence."

"So everything you have told us about yourself is a complete lie? Your name's not even Akriti right?" Rohit said.

"No, most of it is true...the only thing that isn't true besides what I have already told you is that I don't work as a nurse at the hospital because I want to become a doctor, it's because I was assigned to go undercover and provide monthly observation reports as part of training."

"At a hospital? How would that work? What would you report on?... It's a hospital," I asked.

"They would sometimes send suspicious people without me knowing, and I would need to identify them as potential threats. I thought you, Anirudh, were one of those people. And since you were in my class I thought maybe you could potentially be a trainee agent as well and were potentially trying to investigate me or were sent by R&AW."

"Wow!" Rohit started laughing.

"That turned out pretty well right?" I said, trying to control my laughter. Akriti started laughing as well.

"But does your grandfather actually own the hospital?" Rohit asked.

"Yeah that is true, but he isn't a part of R&AW neither does he know about our involvement with R&AW."

The middle-aged man entered the room with a tray full of snacks in his hand.

"Well, it seems you are getting along," he said.

"Oh yeah, I am happy that we at least found Akriti. But I need more answers," Rohit said.

"And sorry, if this sounds rude, but who are you?" I asked.

"Oh no! I am sorry I didn't introduce myself! I thought Akriti told you about me!" he said, keeping the tray on the coffee table.

"No, she has a habit of hiding things," Rohit said.

"Not fair dude!" Akriti screeched.

"Oh it's fair enough," I said with a giggle.

Akriti stared at me in disbelief.

"My name is Gulpreet Singh and I work under Akriti's father."

"Wait, you said your father was a doctor," I said.

Akriti smiled and then covered her face with her hands in embarrassment.

"Her father is the chief of domestic operations for R&AW. That clinic you just ran from is actually a front for local operations and communication," Mr Gulpreet said.