Chapter 10: Unicorn Birthday

“Come on mom!”

“I’m coming Leonardo. Be patient.”

Leo was anything but patient. He was turning eleven and Suzie was coming over for the first time in the years! He missed her and couldn’t wait to see their again! He was excitedly bouncing on the heels of his shoes outside as he waited for Abigail’s car to pull up. His new, slightly older disguise made his hair longer so it was tied up into a bun with his two streaks of bright red hair loose and bouncing over his face. A black truck pulled up in front of the hotel and the passenger door was opened to reveal Suzie. She was fifteen and was super tall! Her human disguise was super different from what Leo remembered.

Her grayish black hair was buzzed completely on one side and the rest fell on the other side, she over a neon green cropped jacket over a black t-shirt with a white wolf silhouette howling, ripped jeans with some chains, a lip piercing in her lower lip on the left, and a single dangling feather piercing hung from her left ear wear her hair was shaved.

She looked vastly different, but the bright smile on her face and the hug she gave to Leo was all it took for him to cry and hug her back.

While the two were escorted into the hotel. Big Mama gave Abigail a gentle smile. Abigail was hesitant on letting Suzie anywhere near the hotel, but she couldn’t stand the hate from her daughter. When she asked Suzie if she wanted to spend a week at the hotel for Leonardo’s eleventh birthday, Suzie gave her the first real smile in years. Her eyes were wide, her tail was wagging, her ears were at attention, etc.

Suzie couldn’t keep still on the car ride over. Abigail herself was considering moving back or at least closer to the hotel to keep her daughter happy. David passed away, so the decision was left to her. She returned Big Mama’s smile and left her car to the valet.

“Welcome back, Abigail.”

“Thanks Mum.”

The two women chatted aimlessly as they went to the outside pools. The weather was finally getting warm enough, so it was nobody's surprise to see a glamor around one of the pools. Leo was wearing a pair of indigo swim shorts while Suzie wore a black and plum one piece. Their clothes and broaches lay on one of the lawnchairs while they played in the water. Abigail took her broach off and changed into a smoky gray two piece. Big Mama opted for a pair of plum shorts and a lilac tank top.

She was so happy Leonardo was laughing. Sure she could make him laugh and giggle, but no one else had ever been able to make Leonardo laugh the way Suzie did. She was his sister in everything but blood. By all accounts, the two grew up together. She was miffed that the other children never kept in contact, but there was nothing she could do about them.

“Mum, I have something to ask of you?”

“What is it my dear?”

Big Mama set her fruity drink on the table between their chairs and looked at Abigail.

“Would it be possible to let Suzie stay here for a little while? I’m starting a business in the Hidden City, but I don’t want to uproot her from the hotel for now. It won’t be long, just an extra week while I get my affairs in order.”

“Sweet Abigail, you and your marvelous daughter are always welcome here. The Grand Nexus will always be your home.”

“Thanks Mum. I made Leonardo a birthday gift. Suzie told me that he’s grown a liking to unicorns, so…”

Abigail pulled her phone out of a special nowhere space in space. (Escentially a rift in the space around her where she stores things.) She pulled up a picture of a turquoise unicorn onesie with a dark purple tail and mane. The next few pictures were similar onesies, but all were different in one way or another.