2: Dealing with the Devil

"Mother."

She glanced up from her paperwork, "Yes, dearie?"
You stepped into the office, shutting the door behind you. "We need to talk."
"Hm? About what?" she looked bored of this conversation. That was not going to stop you. She was going to listen. You would make her.

"What is up with Amity?" you growled. "She's barely herself anymore."
"Oh, is this about the coven tryouts?" her face splits into a small smile.
"Obviously." you spat out. "Have you seen her? Have you seen her state?"
"You mean her hardworking nature? Of course."

She was standing now, and even though she tried to look casual about it, you knew—she was warning you. You could almost hear the words in her mind.
Be very careful with your choice of words.
You were going to do just that.

"Hardworking?" you wanted to laugh, "That isn't hardworking. No, she's burnt out. Because of you and your stupid ideals of this family."
"I only want what's best for your sister, that's all." she cooed, walking slowly to you. She reminded you of a panther, sharpening her claws, ready to strike if you ever said the wrong thing. 

"I–"

"Ah. I know what this is about. You're jealous, aren't you?" she cupped her hand to her cheek, the other folded behind her back. "Come, dear, you've had your chance. Let her have this."
Your shoulders slumped. You took a step back, "This has nothing to do with jealousy," you hotly. "I-I just want Amity–"

"What? To miss her shot at becoming a coven official? Please." Then, her eyes widened, just a little. "Don't tell me that...that human put you to this, has she? I knew she was a bad influence." she seethed.
"No," you whispered, "Not her. I got this idea myself."
Mother scowled. Then, she smiles.

She lets go of your cheek and saunters back to her desk. "I think I get what you want now, (reader)."
"I want Amity's freedom."
"Freedom?" she hangs her head back, laughing, "This is not a jailhouse, dear. She is free to do what she likes."

"Then...a deal." you raise your hand, as if waiting for a handshake. "Whatever you want. It's yours. In exchange for Amity's freedom."
"You? What would you have that I want?" she smiles, the condescending tone evident.
"Anything." you say in a quiet voice.

She knew what you meant. "You know," she begins slowly, "That we cannot just let Amity not join. We already signed her up for the tryouts." "Your point?" impatience gripped your tone. Mother's gaze hardened. "Always skipping to the point, are you?" if you weren't delusional, you thought you heard a ghost of amusement in her words. 

"Take her place. Join the coven, ace the tryouts? Amity can do whatever she wants." Your hand moves away slightly as she moves hers towards it. They curl up before you take her hand, and shake it. 

"Deal."

============

Authors note: So so sorry that the plot is going a little slow, i promise after one more chapter hunter gets to be part of the main story. I just want to worldbuild a little, and show off (reader)'s personality more.

-shroom