13| The Caterpillar

During the house party, whilst music plays at a respectable volume and people gather into small groups or pairs, Kaizen pulls Amara for a chat. "Hey Amara come speak to me for a sec."

"I'm coming just give me a minute, I'm trying to fix...my stupid bracelet..." she mumbles with her hands shaking as she tries to attach the clip back through the hoop. "Almost got it."

"Alright, grab your shoes, I'll be out on the terrace." Kaizen and Riley's eyes connect, both parties sensing the other's frustration with all the drama. "You good?"

"I'm great." Riley replies, washing down her lies with a sip of lemonade.

"Oh right, I forgot to thank you for bringing the snacks last minute. You're a life saver."

Riley immediately dismisses his praise. "No, seriously, It was nothing."

Kaizen shuffles through his pockets searching for his wallet. "Here, let me pay you back."

"Kai, it's fine, seriously." Riley laughs softly at the offer. "I know your heads probably been a little all over the place recently, it was the least I could do."

Kaizen musters up a smile, giving up on the search for his wallet. "And they say I'm perfect."

Riley playfully pinches his arm, puckering up her top lip into a scowl. "I whole-heartedly reject that title."

That gets him laughing, the sound lighting up the room. "Same here. Amara, come see me when you're ready."

Amara hums her response, still focused on repairing her bracelet, her eyes beginning to hurt after focusing on the tiny focal point for so long.

Once he leaves, Riley glances over at Amara for answers. "Okay, what was that about? What does he want to talk about?"

"I have no idea." Amara replies, exhaling in frustration after failing to fix her bracelet for the third time. "Probably just wants some advice on how to fix things with Kenna."

"Yeah maybe...I think if they can get through this, then their relationship will be stronger than ever."

Amara snorts. "There's no getting through 'things', when that 'thing' is a baby."

"That's not what I meant." Riley mutters, pressing her lips together once Arlo and Amber approach the kitchen counter.

Arlo kisses the back of her hand before proceeding to make her a burrito per her request.

She giggles at all his tiny jokes and his flirty eye contact over the flames, unashamedly watching his every move, more interested in the guy than the food but who could blame her when every moment shared with him feels cosy like a man-shaped blanket.

Looking at it from a different angle, Riley decides its less about the guy and more about the feeling of having someone who you can shower with love reserved only for the person you're intimate with.

Love like that is so different from the love between family and the bonds between friends. Its uniquely overwhelming and perhaps self destructive as you try to match the tempo of the other. The best of couples make it seem easy but most attempts end in failure.

"You look like you've just seen a ghost."

Riley tilts her head towards Lain when feeling his whispering words in her ear. "If you sneak up on me like that again then I really would have seen one."

Lain chuckles, pulling up one of the kitchen stools and sliding in next to her. "Because I'll be dead after you kill me?"

"It doesn't have the same effect if you explain it back to me."